Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Trying to protect overpair, but board pairs on turn.

Probably should've raised preflop, but ignore that part of the hand.

I think my flop play was fine as betting out on the flop stood no chance of folding hardly anyone, so I went for the checkraise.

The turn is where I got confused as the top card paired and the pot was large. If I just bet, everyone with overs is correct to call still. I reluctantly decided for another checkraise, but it was more out of confusion than anything. Any ideas on what would have been a better line for this situation?

Unfortunately I have very little in the way of reads, but table overall was loose and mostly passive.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, Button calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Is this an easy fold after I get 3bet here?

River: (14 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB
Old 05-05-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Trying to protect overpair, but board pairs on turn.

You are going to take some flack for the lack of a preflop raise.

I don't know what I do about the turn donkbet.

EDIT: I'm silly. I bet the turn, and fold to a raise.

Personally, when I'm confused. I either bet, or check/call. Check/raising seems much more flustering than the other two options.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:37 AM

What's going on post-flop, are you trying to pull a trifecta? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But anyway, you should really bet this flop. Sure, it'd be great if you could check-raise the button, but how do you know he'll bet? What if BB bets and 4 people call? Are you going to just check and call because a raise 'doesn't protect your hand'?

If he raises your flop bet, then it would make sense to check-raise a favorable turn.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:38 AM

The whole reason I decided on the turn checkraise was so I didn't give overcards a chance to draw out on the river. But by not betting, I could have been doing the same I suppose by giving a free draw. I don't know, it was confusing.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:41 AM

Pre-Flop: Blah blah blah FLAK blah blah Raise Turn blah blah Makes later decisions easier blah.

Yeah I said it, needed to be said.

Flop: CR is SOME good.
Turn. I bet out. Not quite sure about immediately folding to a raise. My actions would depend on read and the size of the pot. I would lean more towards calling and check-calling the river.
River: Did fine.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:43 AM

Raise preflop that way you can bet out on the flop and be more likely to get people to fold.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:13 AM

Raise pre-flop.
Bet the flop.
Bet the turn.

The button didn't raise pre-flop so without a read that says that he always bets the flop if it's checked to him then bet out on the flop because you're unlikely to protect your hand here (you can see that they have odds if the flop gets checked around). Bet the turn because they already have odds to call with overcards.

Give your opponents an opportunity to make mistakes. Bet. If they don't call with 2 overcards then they've made a mistake in your favor. By checking you are giving them infinite odds to hit a draw and you aren't forcing them into a decision where they might make a mistake.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:17 AM

f the white sux
Old 05-05-2005, 03:58 AM

Raise preflop, bet the flop.

The hand will be a lot easier.