Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Back to work? Opinions needed!

Fellow zoo posters and those who play or have played online for a living:

I was laid off from my $16/hr job in HR on 12/23/04. I was actually happy about this as I could no longer stand the job, was able to collect unemployment, and finally give online poker a shot as income. After a frustrating Jan and first half of Feb where bonus/rakeback made up the majority of my profit (avg $15/hr total profit during that time), I have taken off the last 6 weeks (avg $40/hr). The one setback to my play has been inconsistency, I'm only averaging about 23 hours per week. I think part of this has to do with the fact that when you combine unemployement checks with part-time poker income, I'm making comfortably more than I was at the old job. One other note is that I have not addressed the lack of benefits issue as of yet.

So this week out of nowhere I land a job interview and 2 days later an offer. It was honestly the first ad I've responded to in the 3 months since the lay off. It would be the next step up in the HR world, starting at $20/hr, so it's a significant increase over the old job. Great benefits. I should be thrilled and ready to go... But thoughts of an ugly commute and the potential of hating the job after 6 months combined with my recent jump in success playing online make this a difficult decision. I mean, just 2 days ago I had a record day online with $450 over 6 hours. I've only had 3 negative days in my last 25.

So..... for those of you who have been there and done that, can you please give some advice here? Any chance I will be happy going back into the corporate world? Can any of you still play enough for most bonuses along with a full time job? If I've left out any essential info that's needed to give an opinion just let me know. Thanks a ton for your advice!

-Mack
Old 03-31-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Back to work? Opinions needed!

I work 40 hours a week and do most bonuses. Takes up most of my "free" time though. I say take the job. Poker to me is something I can always fall back on if needed. I mean what do you expect to happen 6 months from now if you dont like the job? You can just quit and go back to poker right?
Old 03-31-2005, 07:35 PM

Take the job.

1) Unemplyment is going to run out sooner than you think.
2) Remember taxes. Are you reporting income?
3) Downswings happen.

Just MHO
Old 03-31-2005, 07:45 PM

Take the job, and it's not even close.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:47 PM

If you have to ask, you should take the job. If it
turns out sucky, you can go back to poker full time.

Playing full time, if it gets sucky....you have to
look for work.

Best, mosquito
Old 03-31-2005, 08:13 PM

The mere fact that you're asking other people what to do means that you should most definitely take the job.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:56 PM

take it eventually the medical insurance from the old job is going to go away and you will be screwed when you develop carpal tunnel
Old 03-31-2005, 09:32 PM

Take the job. I work full time, most weeks well over 40 hours and still clear ~$300 a week in bonii playing less than 20 hours.

Live off the paycheck, invest the poker earnings and retire 10 years ahead of all your friends.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:48 PM

Like everybody else said, take the job.

Even you hate it and wind up quitting -- it's STILL more money in your pocket. Various other reasons why you taking a job can be a good idea:

That unemployment won't last forever. You need to go back to work again if you want your 13-week clock rewound. Plan ahead now for when you quit again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

See if your new employer offers matching funds for an IRA or a 401K or anything like that. If he does, max it out. Free money is still a good thing even if you have to wait to get your hands on it.

Even if he doesn't offer a match or if you go above it, an ideal time for you to rack up savings while you have two incomes. For instance, did you contribute to your IRA in 2004? You have two weeks left to get the check in the mail before Tax Year 2004 is history!

I personally regard the fact I can make more playing poker than I can flipping burgers as a sort of unemployment insurance - spending money/retirement money while I have a good job, something to keep me from starving if I find myself between jobs unexpectedly. (And something that I can schedule around whatever interviews or opportunities come along!)

I get by in the academic world, hate the very thought of the corporate world. Maybe in a year or two's time I'll be inclined to think about quitting - but not something to do the instant you think you can get away with it.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:49 PM

No mention of age or family status or future goals.

Without those puzzle pieces all advice is garbage.