Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 02:22 AM

Default .5/1 NL, flop trip jacks, get me max value!

Just sit down at InterPoker .5/1 NL, Villain and I have about $70 in chips.

Hero dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP, folded to BB who checks

action from there ...

----- FLOP ----- [Jh Kd Jd]
villain: bets $2
hero: calls $2
----- TURN ----- [Jh Kd Jd][3s]
villain: bets $5
hero: ???

Should I raise at the turn or at the flop? Obviously I'm not folding this unless a diamond comes up. Is calling here to passive since he isn't likely to fire three barrels at an unraised pot?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: .5/1 NL, flop trip jacks, get me max value!

fold preflop, raise flop, call a reraise
Old 10-25-2005, 02:34 AM

You made a mistake from the beggining for calling the blind with that hand, even in middle position. You just got lucky to flop the trips.

With the action your getting from villain, he's likely to have something. You hope he paired a king, or even made two pair. What you fear is that he has pocket kings and also flopped trips.

I would have reraised him on flop to see what he does. If he reraises, I would consider throwing the hand away (if he's a pretty tight player who doesn't bluff much). You can at least figure out if he is on a flush draw. If he is a loose player, keep value betting him. You might get unlucky if he has pocket kings, but I definitely would want to be the one raising, not the one calling in this situation.

Someone else may have better advice, so take mine for whatever it's worth.

But, let me restate. Don't ever play J6o. You can save yourself a lot of money that way (unless you're BB and everybody limps).
Old 10-25-2005, 02:44 AM

should've said this earlier ... i opted to post BB from MP, normally i fold preflop everytime
Old 10-25-2005, 04:42 AM

Unless villian is total donk and will pay you off with a K here or if he is very likely to be drawing, just call him down.

If you raise, you will hate to be check/raised here, unless you know he would only do it with a J or better.

There are more Js that beat you than Js that you beat, so I don't really see any value in raising this hand, except to protect against the draw.... but if he's betting every street, let him do it.

Pot control is my primary concern in hands like this.

Only raise if you improve.

I know it sucks when the Ad hits on the river and he bets the pot... but I think that the increased profit that you get from his bluffs makes up for it.