Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 03:15 PM

Default 2/4 Stud Hi, A88, hows my line?

2/4 Hi at Interpoker, so it's pretty loose till 5th

3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] brings in, 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] calls, 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] fold, Hero with (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) completes, 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] calls, bring in folds, 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] calls

4th street
Hero: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain 1: X X 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain 2: X X 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets, villains call

5th street:
Hero: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain 1: X X 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain 2: X X 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets, villains call

6th street:
Hero: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain 1: X X 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain 2: X X 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked around

River: Hero gets A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], hero bets and villains fold

How'd I play it?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: 2/4 Stud Hi, A88, hows my line?

If you play the early streets that way I see no reason not to bet sixth street. There boards did not get particularly scary. No reason to check/call rather than bet when you have little chance of being raised and might make someone make a mistake if they fold.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:32 PM

Hero missed a bet on 6th street.

Jeff
Old 12-01-2005, 07:04 PM

I think if you are going to bet 5th into the possible flush, might as well bet 6th too.

I'm not sure about the bet on 5th...could be a good time to slow down. I play in this game though and know there are a lot of regulars and that it really depends on your opponent here. Against the average unknown donk I probably bet 5th anyway (and against a lot of the regular donks I would too).
Old 12-02-2005, 01:41 AM

I suppose my thoughts on 6th were that I'd like to see a cheap river, because if I make two pair I'm likely to beat whatever two pair villains may have. Wrong thinking here?

Bet on 5th was 'accidental' in that I didn't take a good enough look at villain 2's board to see the flush draw. I might have checked there otherwise, but I suppose bet is fine against donks.

Is the theory behind betting 6th here that I'm ahead enough to justify it as a value(ish) bet, and if I'm behind, the pot is big enough, that I have enough outs to justify it, and probably even calling a raise?
Old 12-02-2005, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the theory behind betting 6th here that I'm ahead enough to justify it as a value(ish) bet, and if I'm behind, the pot is big enough, that I have enough outs to justify it, and probably even calling a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that you are first to act here. Whenever you are first to act and don’t really know whether you are ahead or behind, you should lean towards betting right out. The reason is that your opponents will check behind if they are behind, but bet if they figure to be ahead. Thus, you don’t make any money when you’re ahead but lose money when you are behind. (There are exceptions of course; mainly when you are facing scary boards who may bet as a semi-bluff ect.)

In your hand there is really no question you should bet though - their cards are incredibly dead. And you have two live over cards.
You should bet this even if you were last to act.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:48 PM

The diamonds look pretty live to me.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:00 PM

No way am I giving Villain 2 credit for the flush yet. Easy bet on 5th, and following that action easy bet on 6th as well, and same on 7th.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:06 AM

A good thing about the bet on 5th is that it puts a lot of pressure on villan 1 to fold because he has to fear a raise from the diamonds behind him & the re-raise by you.
Bet 6th.They both hit blanks,& the Ks is powerful as a threat as well as strengthening your draw to a big 2 pair hand.