Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: 2/4 straight draw hand, did i take it too far?

I like the call on third. At this limit you can often get to 5th street for just the bring-in. chasing isn't so bad if you are at a passive table like alot of the 2/4 tables are.

I most likely fold on 4th
Old 11-15-2005, 02:00 PM

Given that all the 9s are live, and its very unlikely to be raised behind you, calling a small bet to make a gutshot here seems to be a smaller mistake than playing the hand to start with. I think it could even be correct to call 4th.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:33 PM

after taking a look back, the call on 3rd was somewhat loose, but sklanksy is for calling 3rd with hands like this at looser tables ... i think i would have had more of a case for continuing past 4th if i had caught a queen, certainly so if i had caught a nine ... this hand is obviously unplayable if even 1 nine is dead
Old 11-16-2005, 12:06 AM

For a good analysis of this particular 3rd st situation, see the old Super System, bottom of pg 144 & TOP OF PG 145.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:59 AM

If you're going to fold on fourth, you should probably fold on third.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:16 AM

The call on third street is OK, but folding is probably better. Straight draws kinda suck anyway, and with the gap, this one sucks more than usual. When you limp in with a dog like this one, you're relying on implied odds, but those are cut down because the bring-in is too big.

I don't see why a check on fifth street points to this guy having Aces or Queens. I think it points to his having nothing, or perhaps to his being clueless. Personally, I'd be betting into those boards with AQx whatever I had underneath.

If you really thought he had Queens or better, you should have folded on sixth street. You need either a Jack or a Nine to beat him, and neither of those is a lock by any means. I would have folded on sixth, I think, but if I had called, I would have called the river unimproved as well. Of course, calling is what I do best.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Call 3rd, muck on all other sts.

I agree with everything Roland said in his first post, and the last 2 paragraphs of Andy's post. 3rd is a marginal but good call IF you can lay down a bad gut shot or pair later in the hand, otherwise it gets you into a lot of trouble (as you can see).

You mentioned had you caught a Q on 4th a call would have been okay...again true but very marginal and it can swing from +EV if you read well and play well later in the hand to grossly -EV if you don't.

Player normally don't get scared on 5th when they have a big pair...if anything a check means he is slowplaying his 2 pair/trips or just is weak.

On 6th it is hard to tell were you are at, and since the pot is very small you should fold. A good way to avoid falling for slowplays (which this may be) is to not call after a slight improvement on 6th when you wouldn't have called on 5th. This same principle applies on any st. where your opponent makes a suspect check with a strong board and then a "suprise" bet on the next st....it takes dicsapline but will save you a lot of money!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:52 AM

How about raising 6th, then checking behind on the end if you dont improve?

I also advocate folding 3rd... but might call with (8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] since youre closing the action.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:30 PM

Location: USS George washington, Virgina, 7 months until Los Angeles

yes.