Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 02:28 AM

Default A Short History of Other Other Topics

Pestilence and famine contributed to fill up the measure of the calamities of Rome. The first could only be imputed to the just indignation of the gods; but (AD 189 [during the reign of Commodus]) a monopoly of corn, supported by the riches and power of the minister [Cleander], was considered the cause of the second. The popular discontent, after it had circulated in whispers, broke out in the assembled circus. The people quitted their favorite amusements for the more delicious pleasure of revenge, rushed in crowds towards a palace in the suburbs, one of the Emperor’s retirements, and demanded, with angry clamors, the head of the public enemy.

Cleander, who commanded the Praetorian Guards, ordered a body of cavalry to sally forth, and disperse the seditious multitude. The multitude fled with precipitation towards the city; several were slain, and many more were trampled to death: but when the cavalry entered the streets, their pursuit was checked by a shower of stones and darts from the roofs and windows of the houses. The foot guards, who had been long jealous of the prerogatives and insolence of the Praetorian cavalry, embraced the party of the people. The tumult became a regular engagement, and threatened a general massacre. The Praetorians, at length, gave way, oppressed with numbers; and the tide of popular fury returned with redoubled violence against the gates of the palace, where Commodus lay, dissolved in luxury, and alone unconscious of the civil war.

It was death to approach his person with the unwelcome news. He would have perished in this supine security, had not two women, his elder sister Fadilla, and Marcia, the most favored of his concubines, ventured to break into his presence. Bathed in tears, and with disheveled hair, they threw themselves at his feet; and with all the pressing eloquence of fear, discovered to the affrighted emperor, the crimes of the minister, the rage of the people, and the impending ruin, which, in a few minutes, would burst over his palace and person. Commodus started from his dream of pleasure, and commanded that the head of Cleander should be thrown to the people. The desired spectacle instantly appeased the tumult.

From: The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Vol 1 by Edward Gibbon
Old 10-08-2005, 02:35 AM

Default Re: A Short History of Other Other Topics

[ QUOTE ]

From: The History of the Decline and Fall of the Rome Empire, Vol 1 by Edward Gibbon

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea how happy it makes me to see this quoted in OOT.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:51 PM

Bump.

When do the heads start coming off?

-Zeno
Old 10-13-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bump.

When do the heads start coming off?

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a difficult process as my initial list was much to long I think. In some cases I am making sure I am giving everyone a chance to either prove or hang themselves.

I've only just started working on thread creating and have yet to get to replying.