Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: final table of Bodog 100K. Good reraise

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you have represented either a big pair or big ace with the reraise so the only hands that will be calling here are AA-QQ and maybe JJ which would be slightly donkish, as well as AK-AQ or AQs.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you ever played online poker? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I try to stay away from it. Like to post terrible advice here instead [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
~Justin
Old 06-06-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: final table of Bodog 100K. Good reraise?

Seems standard to me. Any reason you are double-guessing yourself? Or do you think this is a lot closer than I do?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems standard to me. Any reason you are double-guessing yourself? Or do you think this is a lot closer than I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple sanity check.

coming over the top with AT, with 3 people left to act seemed a bit risky. A better ace calls, either ahead or behind me. As will many wired pairs.

I don't like calling but if I did, I could have folded to the reraise behind me.

And I don't like folding this hand when 7-handed.

And I prefer to be the aggressor when no one else has yet shown strength, but 7-handed the idea of 'better spots' is fantasy.

So in all, I just wanted other views to make sure my thinking and play was on the right line.

-Scott
Old 06-06-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple sanity check.

coming over the top with AT, with 3 people left to act seemed a bit risky. A better ace calls, either ahead or behind me. As will many wired pairs.

I don't like calling but if I did, I could have folded to the reraise behind me.

And I don't like folding this hand when 7-handed.

And I prefer to be the aggressor when no one else has yet shown strength, but 7-handed the idea of 'better spots' is fantasy.

So in all, I just wanted other views to make sure my thinking and play was on the right line.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha.

If you cold-call and it gets raised behind, its an easy fold. If not, you have to play it by ear on the flop. But, I like this play the least and I almost never do it.

Pushing is what I do most. No one is calling behind you w/out a premium hand (very premium). I also feel like, in general, players vastly overestimate the strength of villian's hand. I mean, when its folded to you at the FT, you're often opening w/ practically any 2.

If you don't feel comfortable pushing, just fold. While its hard to come about "better spots" at the FT, I agree w/ your preference of being 1st in w/ the raise rather than coming over the top.

But, overall, I'm 80/20 push/fold, and almost never calling.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:53 PM

I like your play here Sobe.

Villian needs a pretty good hand to call you here for his whole tourney.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:40 AM

id fold most of the time

1. 7th place money sucks

2. if you get called your hand sucks
Old 06-07-2005, 11:50 AM

i don't really "get" this play,or at least i wouldn't make it...
if the idea of the reraise is that he only has a good enough hand to call very rarely,that's fair enough...why make the play with A10 of all hands though?
if he calls he's probably got a better ace,or two of them,and you're totally dominated...
why not make the play with J10,89s,etc,instead?
at least then you're in better shape against AQ,AK,etc
and i know these aren't great hands (j10,etc),but you're hoping he's going to fold,right?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't really "get" this play,or at least i wouldn't make it...
if the idea of the reraise is that he only has a good enough hand to call very rarely,that's fair enough...why make the play with A10 of all hands though?
if he calls he's probably got a better ace,or two of them,and you're totally dominated...
why not make the play with J10,89s,etc,instead?
at least then you're in better shape against AQ,AK,etc
and i know these aren't great hands (j10,etc),but you're hoping he's going to fold,right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to remember this is 7-handed, AND a final table. First, you have to open up your play when short. He **SHOULD** be raising there with hands like 78s, 79s, 9Ts, 9Js, TJs, KJs, KQ, A9 or better, QJs, etc. A *LOT* of hands.
Remember this is 7-handed and 2 have folded.

Also remember that the raiser will dump a lot of those hands to my push. he'll dump AJ, any King hand (except maybe KQs), and many of the smaller pairs.

So I think my push will generate a lot of folds and I win are VERY nice pot much of the time.

Also I'm suited so I have some extra outs against hands that call. and there is a low chance I'm getting called by a hand with a T.

-Scott