Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 10:33 PM

Default AKo UTG - is this a standard line?

This feels very "standard", but I've been having some troubles the last few days and want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

I just sat at the table a few hands ago, but I know from previous play that Villian (BB) is 15.7/7.8/3.0 over ~50 hands. However, his Aggr. Frequency (PA) was around 38%, so fairly low, but could be an artifact of the small sample size.

Should I have waited until the turn to pop the raise instead of 3-betting the flop? Should I have folded at any point in this hand? Checked instead of bet?

PokerRoom 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, BB calls.

River: (11 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 12-13-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: AKo UTG - is this a standard line?

Once the BB check-raises, I'm waiting to pop any non-heart turn.

Scott
Old 12-13-2005, 10:51 PM

I would call the re-raise on the flop and then raise the turn. Everything else looks fine.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:57 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

[ QUOTE ]
Once the BB check-raises, I'm waiting to pop any non-heart turn.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Do u think that he will bet the turn if his draw doesn't come in?

I def 3-bet here.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:01 PM

Appreciate the replies, helped put my mind at ease a bit.

Couple of followup questions: Would you call down or fold if villian capped, and led the turn? How about if I was C/R on the turn?

(Results for those who care: Villian shows K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and MHIG.)
Old 12-13-2005, 10:49 PM

Stats like his plus the way he check-raises really leads me to think he has a draw (check-raising the whole table) rather than a made hand. So 3-bet the flop and face everyone with 2 cold now, since if he has a draw he will often check/call the turn.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:49 AM

I like the way you've played it.

You have a very strong hand. Your equity is generally going to be very high right now. You want to pump the pot now when you have a clear equity edge. Having the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] means you have redraws on a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] turn anyway, and so I don't see much reason to wait until a non-[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] turn to raise because a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] turn isn't as bad for us as without the redraws. We are also not vulnerable to overcards.

Here's one way I like to think about it: I don't care what the turn is particularly. If I don't care what the turn is and I figure I have a whole lot of equity now, I like to jam the flop in multiway pots (because it generates the most value usually).

If instead of AK on a K-high flop I had AT on a T high flop, I care very much that the turn isn't a face card and so I'm much more inclined to wait for protection purposes.

So, nice hand.