Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 11:57 PM

Default 10/20 AQs preflop

UTG here is 62/5. Behind me are two 30/5s and a 49/19. The blinds are tight. For each of the options fold/call/raise one of Entity/klepto/I think that option is right.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: I am MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, I
Old 12-01-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: 10/20 AQs preflop

how many hands on him?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:08 AM

i don't think it really matters all that much, but I think raising may be the worst of the 3 options.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:09 AM

I call. The 30's especially will c/c along with the 49 with a lot of hands that you have crushed. This is a hand I don't mind playing big pots with, and with the aggressor to your right, you can manipulate the field however you like post flop.

I could also see an argument for folding, depending on how many hands that 62/5 is over. 5% is pretty small, and means that you may very well be dominated by UTG, but even 5% will open light from time to time, even UTG.

I don't like 3 betting, as it gets all the hands you have destroyed to correctly fold, and leaves you heads up (probably) with a hand that might have you destroyed.

lf
Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 AM

I would fold here unless I had reason to think UTG might be the type of player who would limp with AA and/or KK in this spot.

If I thought there was a high likelihood that he would limp with AA and/or KK in this spot, then I would raise if the opponent doesn't go to showdown too often (so in particular has a good chance of folding AK UI at some point in the hand). If he is committed to showdown, then I'd probably prefer to call.

But my default play is to fold here without any reads, assuming you have a fair number of hands on UTG. Even if it is wrong, I doubt it is giving up very much.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think it really matters all that much, but I think raising may be the worst of the 3 options.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? I agree with you, but just saying it doesn't help anybody, or help the discussion. Whats your why to go with your what?

lf
Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG here is 62/5. Behind me are two 30/5s and a 49/19. The blinds are tight. For each of the options fold/call/raise one of Entity/klepto/I think that option is right.

Preflop: I am MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, I

[/ QUOTE ]

I like making it 3 here. The hand does play quite well multiway and we could try to get some more aggressive players in there that would make a flush a huge win. But, I'd just as soon get HU with the poor player here. And, perhaps another will come along anyway. Would a cap from UTG help define his hand?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how many hands on him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-01-2005, 12:14 AM

Also, some players with 5% PFR raise AA-TT, AK, AQs or whatever it takes to get to 5%. But some players with 5% PFR raise with suited connectors and medium pocket pairs, choosing to slowplay big pairs and wait to see what flops with AK type hands.

That's why having a more detailed read than just stats would be uber helpful.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like making it 3 here. The hand does play quite well multiway and we could try to get some more aggressive players in there that would make a flush a huge win. But, I'd just as soon get HU with the poor player here. And, perhaps another will come along anyway. Would a cap from UTG help define his hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suck.

Good thoughts from the others here.

btw sweetjazz. I don't put the go to showdown % on my HUD, looks like this is probably a mistake. It's actually something I've not considered in a spot like this, and I love the thought here.