Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Greg\'s Turkey Day interactive blind quiz

I agree with jaxUp's post in this thread.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1) First hand at the table– you have observed a pretty tight table waiting for the blinds, but have no real reads yet. You are dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB. UTG+2 open raises, folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
call and play wa/wb with a flopped ace. c/r a 9, a flush draw, or a combo gutshot/overcard/bdfd flop, like 568 with a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. after this hand i leave the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Table selection at the micros is overrated. Besides, tight tables allow you to play a LAG game from mid-late and late position, which is lots of fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'll take the easy profit.

this is a full ring table where UTG and UTG+1 folded, UTG+2 open raised, and no one coldcalled. i don't care if this (and the fact that we "observed a pretty tight table") is a fluke. with the mass of tables available, why wouldn't you take 14 seconds to go sit at another one?
Old 11-24-2005, 03:05 PM

I was just about to link everyone to that thread...I'm suprised to see that everyone agreed on folding yesterday, and calling today...
Old 11-24-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just about to link everyone to that thread...I'm suprised to see that everyone agreed on folding yesterday, and calling today...

[/ QUOTE ]
i never saw that thread [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

yeah it's close, but going up from A9s, we hit ATs and then AJs - when do we see a flop?

i'm really jaded from playing 6-max, and this is a full ring hand.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:08 PM

Yeah, Fair points.

As i say, Higher the PFR of the villan and i'll more likly call it.

its a marginal hand, i'd prob fold if i was uncomfortable/Dying for a pee. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But i reckon calling could be a small profit, Wheter or not its worth the effort... hmm.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1) First hand at the table– you have observed a pretty tight table waiting for the blinds, but have no real reads yet. You are dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB. UTG+2 open raises, folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
call and play wa/wb with a flopped ace. c/r a 9, a flush draw, or a combo gutshot/overcard/bdfd flop, like 568 with a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. after this hand i leave the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Table selection at the micros is overrated. Besides, tight tables allow you to play a LAG game from mid-late and late position, which is lots of fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'll take the easy profit.

this is a full ring table where UTG and UTG+1 folded, UTG+2 open raised, and no one coldcalled. i don't care if this (and the fact that we "observed a pretty tight table") is a fluke. with the mass of tables available, why wouldn't you take 14 seconds to go sit at another one?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good thread about playing in tight games.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

yeah it's close, but going up from A9s, we hit ATs and then AJs - when do we see a flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you fold A9s to a raise in 6max? (I've just joined 6max [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])
Old 11-24-2005, 03:14 PM

1) First hand at the table– you have observed a pretty tight table waiting for the blinds, but have no real reads yet. You are dealt A 9 in the BB. UTG+2 open raises, folded to you.

I think calling here is a significant mistake. At a generic tight table his opening range is going to have you dominated a significant portion of the time here, and the only hand you are really beating is KQ.

2) The very next hand in the SB you get 5 8. Hijack (MP3 for the uninitiated) open limps, folded to you.

You have a hand with fairly little showdown value that will make a winning hand only rarely. The pot is short handed so you are not getting great pot or implied odds. I would muck

3) Loose table with mixed aggression: three loose passives limp, and a loose aggressive but thinking player raises on the button. You have 9 9 in the SB. BB is a reasonably good player who plays tight.

I would three bet and be happy for the opportunity. The limpers have announced that their hands aren't very good. This leads to some tricky spots post flop but overall your edge in equity makes this a three bet.

4) You are in the BB with A 5. Four loose passive limp, and a loose aggressive player raises on the button. SB (loose passive) calls.

This is one of the tough ones. I would muck, but I think calling is an option.

5) UTG, a tight aggressive players raises, you get 2 cold callers from loose and passive types. You are in the SB with 9 8 BB is loose and passive. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

I call quickly with three callers but I think I call with two as well. I have a tendency to play these hands too often so take my advice with a grain of salt but you have a fairly big, multi way pot and good position relative to the better to build a huge pot if you flop big.

6) Same situation as #5, only this time you have 5 5. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

This is an easy call for me. The pot is big, you are getting 3.5:1 immediately, with a likely 4:1 on your money. Given the huge size of the pot you will be able to make up the bets you need pretty quicky postflop.

7) UTG+2 open raises. He is loose, aggressive, but thinking player. You get 2 cold callers and the SB calls (all looser players). You have 6 5 in the BB.

This is an extremely easy call. You are getting 9:1 on your money with a hand that needs much less than that to be profitable. Since the pot is multiway you should get a decent amount of action if you flop big and can get away cheap if you miss.

8) Same situation as #7, but this time you have T T.

I would three bet here. The presence of the other players is attractive to me. I feel I have a large equity edge and the limpers, who have announced they have bad hands, make the three bet even more profitable.

9) You are in the SB with 2 2. Hijack open limps, folded to you. BB is crazy and unpredictable LA player.

I would call here instinctively. BB's craziness is both good and bad. His potential to raise preflop hurts us a little but the potential that he will go several bets postflop with sub par hands more than makes up for that and your implied odds in the small blind are doubled.

10) You are in the BB with 8 8. Seven players limp (an assortment of muppets), the SB folds.

I check, because there are so many flops I am going to not like, but I suspect this is a mistake and I should raise.

11) Same as #10, only the button (LAG) raises.

I like a three bet here, because you may get some limpers to fold (and I love dead money) as well it is unlikely that LAG has you dominated and you should have an equity edge against the field.

i've read that thread. i believe the point of it is more along these lines:

"you can't find a loose game, because there aren't any. the tights ones are still very profitable."

however, if you could choose a game based purely on vpip, would anyone choose the 25/5 game over the 40/5 game?

and i take back the A9s call from the big blind in a tight game - i would call it against myself in a 6-handed game though, as i raise ATo, ~A8s, KJo, KTs, QJs, 66+ from utg.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you fold A9s to a raise in 6max? (I've just joined 6max [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a PFR% of 15 or higher, I'd call. Any lower and I'd probably fold