Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 12:33 PM

Default AQo HU OOP: 5/10 NL

I have played villain heads up for only three hands now. He is very aggro full-ring and it's definitely carrying over: 2 of the first three hands we played he reraised preflop. Both times he continuation bet and I check-raised him off one and folded the other.
Anyway, I have ~$1600 he has me covered.
Dealt to hero in sb: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero raises to 30. Villain raises to 90. Hero raises to 200. Villain calls.
Flop (400): A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets 175. Villain raises to 450. Hero...?
Old 10-13-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: AQo HU OOP: 5/10 NL

seeing how this played out yeah he could have AK but he is also capable of putting you on a high pocket and trying to take you off it. and this is what you asked for with your tiny flop bet right? given this, i'm calling here and checking turn but planning on getting it in.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:25 PM

Do you routinely call re-raises before the flop with AQ? what is the blind structure? $30 pre-flop out of the small blind seems kinda small. If you give him no credit of having a solid holding, I think a better line would be to check-raise the flop to see where you are. If he re-raises you on the flop, you can safely throw away your 1-pair hand. With the line you chose, you are forced to call his raise to $400 and you still don't know if your ahead. You will also have to call a huge bet on the turn. I don't like calling off my money with A Q only to find out my kicker is no good!
Old 10-13-2005, 04:09 PM

you see that it's heads up, right?
Old 10-13-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you routinely call re-raises before the flop with AQ?

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't call the reraise-I RERAISED it. This is heads up (that's what HU means in case you didn't know...understandable mistake) so it's not like I'm overplaying AQ in a full ring game
[ QUOTE ]
what is the blind structure? $30 pre-flop out of the small blind seems kinda small.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please pay attention to the subject: 5/10 NL means the blinds are 5 and 10 dollars. And 3xBB out of position is about standard.

[ QUOTE ]
I think a better line would be to check-raise the flop to see where you are. If he re-raises you on the flop, you can safely throw away your 1-pair hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like the worst line possible. The pot is 400. Let's say I check, and he bets 300 (which is what I would expect him to bet). How much do I check raise? The minimum? Then his push doesn't tell me anything because he could think I'm on a cheap steal. To 900? Then I've got about put in $1100 and am folding for $500 more? Getting 5:1? Check/raise then fold is terrible
Old 10-13-2005, 04:35 PM

I think you should re-raise bigger preflop if you're going to re-raise. You raised only $110 more in a $180 pot with $1600 stacks and you are out of position. If you are confident enough to re-raise then I think you have to re-raise enough that he may actually fold. Otherwise 2/3 of the time you are going to be stuck out of position on the flop with ace high and a lot of money left behind. So I would prefer to either flat call the re-raise or to re-raise bigger.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:09 PM

Flat call the flop and then either check raise the turn or check call turn and river. I think if you three bet the flop it makes it far too easy for your opponent to fold anything you are beating. Given your aggressive play preflop I dont think folding is an option.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:29 PM

I just dont see folding in the future, so the line that optimizes value vs bluffs and weaker aces is the way to go.

unfortunately im not adding anything others have said, but this seems like a flop call. and id be pretty pump to nail him here.