Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Pokerstars 500K guaranteed blind defense

New table, 6300 stack, avg stack around 4500, 200/400 25a. UTG (8,000 stack) minraises and it's folded to me in the BB w/Q8o. I call. Flop is Q74r, I checkraise his minbet to 1125 and he calls. Blank on the turn, I check/fold to a 1000 bet. Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars 500K guaranteed blind defense

i feel like leading the turn is better here and folding to a raise. u just got aggressive on the flop with the c/r and then u check again??? i dont get it. why??
Old 08-29-2005, 12:06 PM

Had it been getting folded around to min bets? If not, I would fold that hand preflop.

On this flop you are far better to just lead out and bet. I think you are better off playing it aggressive. What hands did you think he had? Would he min raise AA or KK UTG?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i feel like leading the turn is better here and folding to a raise. u just got aggressive on the flop with the c/r and then u check again??? i dont get it. why??

[/ QUOTE ]

Figured with an unknown a minraise UTG could mean anything, including a monster. I check/raised him on the flop figuring if his minbet was with air he'd lay down. His call makes me figure he has at least a Q, possibly an overpair or set. At this point I'm looking for a cheap showdown. I can't see him betting the turn with anything worse than queens, can you? I mean, I've already shown aggression, and he didn't back down. The 1,000 bet sure felt like a value bet, and I figured I still had a stack to work with folding now.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Had it been getting folded around to min bets? If not, I would fold that hand preflop.

On this flop you are far better to just lead out and bet. I think you are better off playing it aggressive. What hands did you think he had? Would he min raise AA or KK UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

New table, no reads- that was the problem, and THAT'S probably what should have leaned me towards a fold preflop. But those pot odds seemed OH so tempting.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I figure a checkraise to be better on the flop because it's more likely to get 88-JJ to fold than betting out would, and gets me more info- a cc on my flop bet wouldn't tell me much...
Old 08-29-2005, 12:22 PM

Or he thought you were trying to steal with your check raise. You wuss out on the turn and he thinks his AK is good so he bets.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or he thought you were trying to steal with your check raise. You wuss out on the turn and he thinks his AK is good so he bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, if he can call a check/raise and bet the turn with air, more power to him. That's BALLZ.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure a checkraise to be better on the flop because it's more likely to get 88-JJ to fold than betting out would

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want 88-JJ to fold? Being afraid of a 2-outer is weak.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I figure a checkraise to be better on the flop because it's more likely to get 88-JJ to fold than betting out would

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want 88-JJ to fold? Being afraid of a 2-outer is weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew that would sound wrong- I'm saying if I bet out on that flop, 88-JJ would probably call, along with hands that are crushing me, such as AA, KK, QQ or a set, thereby giving me little info. The way I did it I'm pretty sure they'd fold to a check-raise. I know if I'm the villian I'm laying down any PP below queens to a check/raise... Maybe it's a leak?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't, your flop c/r, turn check is weak. If you lead the turn and he comes over the top then I would feel ok folding here.

I've seen good players come over the top of a flop c/r with J high and get folds. It really isn't necessarily all that strong in the right spot.