Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Can I justify going broke with big pairs in low limit NL live?

I play mostly live and the most common NL game I find is a $100 buyin with a $2/$4 blind structure. If I PFR with AA or KK to say $16 and bet $30 on an semi-uncoordinated flop like Q T 5 is there anyway I can get away from the hand after putting in about half my stack?
Should I be trying to find ways of folding? If I run into a set do I just have to pay it off in that situation? This has happened to me a few times and Im wondering if my getting paid off on big pairs offsets these unlucky situations. Unfortunately Im getting the idea that I'll be winning small pots and losing big ones with big pairs.

note: this is a semi-rant after runnning into 55 on the Q T 5 board last night with AA.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Can I justify going broke with big pairs in low limit NL live?

$100 buy-in 2/4? With 25BB stacks, I don't think you should be folding AA/KK very often.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Can I justify going broke with big pairs in low limit NL live?

[ QUOTE ]
I play mostly live and the most common NL game I find is a $100 buyin with a $2/$4 blind structure. If I PFR with AA or KK to say $16 and bet $30 on an semi-uncoordinated flop like Q T 5 is there anyway I can get away from the hand after putting in about half my stack?
Should I be trying to find ways of folding? If I run into a set do I just have to pay it off in that situation? This has happened to me a few times and Im wondering if my getting paid off on big pairs offsets these unlucky situations. Unfortunately Im getting the idea that I'll be winning small pots and losing big ones with big pairs.

note: this is a semi-rant after runnning into 55 on the Q T 5 board last night with AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, the players are not getting implied odds for sets in this sort of structure. Besides actually seeing your opponents cards, you have to call here 100% of the time, unless the pot is multiway and the board comes say QJ10 of diamonds and you don't have the ace of diamonds.