Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: The right thing to do? (long)

Thanks for the response. For clarification's sake:

a) I left it next to his personal door in an apartment complex that no one that doesn't live there can get into without knowing someone who lives in the building, or lives there themselves. I'd say this is much different than leaving it outside the apartment complex or even in a common area where anyone walking on the street can mess with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who live in locked buildings can still be thieves. A coded main door just means thieves without the code cannot get the bag, it doesnt stop the thieves that already live in the building from snagging it
Old 08-16-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Long story short, my buddy left his duffel bag in my car on Friday.

[/ QUOTE ] That's his mistake and not yours. He's not very much of a buddy.
[ QUOTE ]

1) How irresponsible was it that I left his bag out in his apartment hall?

[/ QUOTE ] How irresponsible was it for him to leave his bag in your car, then he blaims you for driving 40 miles out of your way to drop his things, which he left in your car, off? I believe that's called kindness, not irresponsible.
[ QUOTE ]

2) Should I be responsible for all the costs? I honestly don't care about the $$$, but I more care about what's the fair/right thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ] I wouldn't pay anything, and if this person, who you consider a friend, pestered me about the money I'd kick him in the teeth. I have good reasons for this. 1) He left his bag in your car. Apparently he didn't ask you if it was okay to do this. 2)He blames you for getting his bag stolen. You didn't steal the bag, some jerk did. 3) He was unappreciative of you driving 40 miles to help him out. Gas prices! For that alone he is well deserved of a nice kick in the teeth. 4) He's not your friend or buddy. Maybe he's trying to rip you off.

My advice. Don't pay him anything. Kick him in the teeth. Get a new buddy.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:00 PM

did he know you were going to drop it off
Old 08-16-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Try to find one who knows when to stay the hell away from a car when he's drunk. Let him think about it in his apartment for the next 18 months.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

2) Should I be responsible for all the costs? I honestly don't care about the $$$, but I more care about what's the fair/right thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ] I wouldn't pay anything, and if this person, who you consider a friend, pestered me about the money I'd kick him in the teeth. I have good reasons for this. 1) He left his bag in your car. Apparently he didn't ask you if it was okay to do this. 2)He blames you for getting his bag stolen. You didn't steal the bag, some jerk did. 3) He was unappreciative of you driving 40 miles to help him out. Gas prices! For that alone he is well deserved of a nice kick in the teeth. 4) He's not your friend or buddy. Maybe he's trying to rip you off.

[/ QUOTE ]

For clarification, I didn't drive 40 miles out of my way in this instance- he lives a couple miles away from where I work, so this trip wasn't a big deal. He definitely isn't trying to rip me off, as he could have done that several times over so many ways by now it's not a concern.

I think it's more of a matter of ignorance more than anything. A few of you suggest I bring up gas prices nonchalantly , but I still think that puts us in the "counting every nickel and dime to make sure things balance out" scenario. I don't want to be the guy that goes to the bar and says, "ok, Joe Schmoe got the first round and I got the second one, but he got a mixed drink which was more expensive than my beer, sooo..."

I guess I'm beyond the initial issue of who should pay for the stuff; Now it's more of a how can I make sure I don't feel taken for granted.

I talked with him later yesterday after the initial issue; he had calmed down, and seemed wishy-washy about what he was looking for reimbursement on. I said something to the effect of, 'whatever you think is fair', and left it at that. We'll see what happens today.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did he know you were going to drop it off

[/ QUOTE ]

I said I was going to drop it off on Monday, but we didn't agree on a specific time.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the response. For clarification's sake:

a) I left it next to his personal door in an apartment complex that no one that doesn't live there can get into without knowing someone who lives in the building, or lives there themselves. I'd say this is much different than leaving it outside the apartment complex or even in a common area where anyone walking on the street can mess with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who live in locked buildings can still be thieves. A coded main door just means thieves without the code cannot get the bag, it doesnt stop the thieves that already live in the building from snagging it

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with you. I was simply stating it was more likely to be taken if sitting outside the building or in a common area.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:58 PM

When my friends leave things in my car i feel i am responsible for them. And if i lost those things i would pay for them .... You being taken for granted has nothing to do with you paying for what you lost.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:35 PM

i agree with notverysmart
i would pay for the items
Old 08-16-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't pay anything, and if this person, who you consider a friend, pestered me about the money I'd kick him in the teeth. I have good reasons for this. 1) He left his bag in your car. Apparently he didn't ask you if it was okay to do this. 2)He blames you for getting his bag stolen. You didn't steal the bag, some jerk did. 3) He was unappreciative of you driving 40 miles to help him out. Gas prices! For that alone he is well deserved of a nice kick in the teeth. 4) He's not your friend or buddy. Maybe he's trying to rip you off.

[/ QUOTE ]

To derail this thread, I had a friend leave a bag at my place. He called me and asked me a question. I thought it was going to be "Can I come by and pick it up?" It was actually, "Can you wash my clothes for me and drop the bag off?"

Urgh. I should have kicked him in the teeth.