Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Running well

I went through an atrocious downswing in May, to the tune of several hundred BBs. It was mostly online, but a little bit live. Then I strung together a couple winning sessions online and then went to Vegas for a couple of days, met up with a group of 2+2ers and ran incredibly well, most of it playing the bigger than I play online. Looking back, I played okay--better than during the downswing. I toned down my aggression a bit and took advantage of a non-LAG, slightly nitty image, but mostly my hands held up and I did the standard running good thing.

So I've been back home for almost a month and positively raping the games, and I feel totally in control, like with a confidence I've hand only once or twice before while playing. I feel like I can make big laydowns correctly, push very thin value raises/bets, and make very thin bluffs, all successfully. To a large degree, they're working, but of course, again, the winning is in large part because I've been running well (i.e. hands are holding up, my draws are getting there, etc etc etc)

So this is a long thread to get to a simple question, but really, I don't understand why I can't have this confidence always. Undoubtedly I'm playing as close to my best as I feel I can right now. I feel like I can't loose, and on some level, part of the reason I'm making fewer mistakes and more correct, marginal plays is because of this confidence. Sooner or later it's going to go away. I just don't understand why. It seems like this is my peak and if I focus enough I can stay there.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Running well

Some people's mind are programmed to be positive, optimistic and naturally confident. Some are programmed to be the opposite.

You appear to have the latter. Your rushes of confidence are an artificial high that only lasts for so long, before your mind 'burns out' and returns to its natural state of loserliness. It simply cannot sustain the level of energy needed to be positive, optimistic and confident. Bummer.

Hope that helps. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

P.S. People that can turn this state of loserliness into optimism and confidence turn out to be some of the most insightful and interesting people around.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:19 PM

You're being results oriented and a human being. Anyone who says they feel exactly the same running well as running poorly is a liar. Your brain operates more efficiently when you feel good. The proper hormones are released from your brain and your entire body feels good. Everything becomes easier. Nice post, it's something important to consider.

The next step is to somehow find a way to feel good when running poorly...
Old 07-09-2005, 04:54 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

It doesn't sound like you were playing that well before if you lost 'several 100 bbs'. That indicates over 500bbs.

[ QUOTE ]
Sooner or later it's going to go away. I just don't understand why. It seems like this is my peak and if I focus enough I can stay there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like a beginners statement if you're seriously pondering this. I know you understand it better than that. Did you not learn anything during your downswing?

b
Old 07-09-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Same here

It feels unreal. I had a terrible may after taking 10 weeks off poker because of a terrible month before that. Since 7/1, I can't lose a hand, live or online. I'm running 12 BB/100 in my last 2K hands, and live it's even better.

I'm sure others have experienced this and better, but it's my first time and it's terrific. I feel supremely confident, and I'm taking hella notes to remember it so I can try and get back there when I'm not running as well.

There is also some terrific sports psychology material out there for getting your head on very straight. It might be worth checking out.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You appear to have the latter. Your rushes of confidence are an artificial high that only lasts for so long, before your mind 'burns out' and returns to its natural state of loserliness. It simply cannot sustain the level of energy needed to be positive, optimistic and confident. Bummer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the inference but you couldn't be more wrong. Several people I know well have commented that I'm the most even keeled person they know.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't sound like you were playing that well before if you lost 'several 100 bbs'. That indicates over 500bbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I wasn't playing my best but that's really not the point of the post.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sooner or later it's going to go away. I just don't understand why. It seems like this is my peak and if I focus enough I can stay there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like a beginners statement if you're seriously pondering this. I know you understand it better than that. Did you not learn anything during your downswing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The statement isn't about winning per se, but rather the feeling of being (1) extremely focused and (2) in control.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:22 PM

I guess it is playing "in the zone". Athletes experience it all the time.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:24 PM

It seems to me you can't under estimate the power of cards running good. When OP says, in essence, he's waiting for this to die out, I think he's talking first about his cards not holding up, and then second about his confidence and decision making slipping as a result. You play the odds and percentages, b/c you KNOW in the long run, they will make you a winner. But when you make the right move, and time after time, week after week, they aren't holding up, you'll lose. Everyone goes thru this, and the key is to recognize it, and ride it out till it passes. Make the most of it while it runs good, and do as much damage control when it's not.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:14 PM

my confidence comes from my young age and rakeback.