Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Did I mess up the cowboys?

With the cap on the flop, and three callers I figured someone for a set, or a large pair (no aces because preflop wasn't capped). I decided to check call from there. Should I have folded instead of calling down--or should I have raised to see if they really had anything? What do you think of my play?

Regards,
NoTalent

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB <font color="purple">(LAG)</font> calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">LAG bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, LAG calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, LAG calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (14.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
LAG checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, LAG calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (18.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
LAG checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 18.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 18.25 BB, between LAG, MP2, Hero and Button.</font>
Old 09-23-2004, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Did I mess up the cowboys?

I think MP2 has a 4 (very unlikely), a flush draw (possibly), a set (possibly), or an overpair (most likely). He's the one I'm most "concerned" about. When he checks the turn, I bet. If you get raised by the button on the turn, you can just call down. If you don't get raised on the turn, bet the river.

Do not fold this hand. Do not even think about folding this hand here.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:38 PM

Good lord bet the turn. This check can cost you the pot, whereas betting might cost you an extra bet or two. You really don't want to give a free card, even if you happen to be behind to two pair or whatever, to one of the many, many draws available on this board.

MP2 call-reraising the flop could easily be a flush draw, a backdoor flush draw, a pair, a straight draw, a gutshot draw, or any combination thereof. It could be a made hand (like 55, 66, 33, or 47, but dem's the breaks.

It's pretty unlikely MP2 is trying to checkraise you on the turn, and even if he is, saving a bet or 2 to draw to your 2-outer isn't worth giving the entire field a free card on the turn because you might be behind.

Once MP2 just calls the turn bet I'd checkraise and play poker.

If I had played the flop and turn the way you did I'd bet the river. I don't want this getting checked through.

EDIT: Grammar
Old 09-23-2004, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good lord bet the turn. This check can cost you the pot, whereas betting might costs you an extra bet or two. You really don't want to give a free card, even if you happen to be behind to two pair or whatever, to one of the many, many draws available on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, you are so correct. I get in this weak-tight fetal position sometimes after suffering a few bad beats and I just assume that I'm beat so I try not to loose as much... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

If an Ace hits I'm done. I should have been betting the whole way...
Old 09-23-2004, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get in this weak-tight fetal position sometimes after suffering a few bad beats and I just assume that I'm beat so I try not to loose as much...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ironically, the riskiest thing you could do is check this turn.

[ QUOTE ]
If an Ace hits I'm done. I should have been betting the whole way...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of simplistic. As usual, it depends...
Old 09-23-2004, 04:33 PM

Bet the turn. There are soooooo many hands that you beat here. Your 3 opponents could have anything from overpairs, to overcards, to flush draws, to straight draws.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:58 PM

Okay, button calls three cold preflop and two more cold on the flop (and then two more back to him). He SHOULD have aces to play it this way but he probably doesn't....