Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2004, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Internet Poker: Fast?

What was top of the line 5 years ago I now have sitting in a storage closet not worth the hassel of trying to dispose of it. 256k of RAM is pretty much the bare minimum for a computer to have now.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was top of the line 5 years ago I now have sitting in a storage closet not worth the hassel of trying to dispose of it. 256k of RAM is pretty much the bare minimum for a computer to have now.

[/ QUOTE ]

256k was the bare minimum in about 1988.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:41 PM

That wasn't a bad year...and you are right the old XT with two ten meg hard drives clunked right along.

However, 256Meg of ram is definitely short...for multiple tables and multi tasking with email or anything else. I am not sure if it is the OS, WindowsXP that is such a memory hog, or whether we just have so many things running in the background nowdays...but my 512M will need updating soon and it is fast ram and has an additional 64M of dedicated video ram.

The lack of dedicated video ram might also cause lag to your system.

However, I remember the specs for early poker rooms to be 32 Meg of ram and as far back as Windows 95. I don't think many poker games played well on win3.11

Of course when they say 32 Meg minimum...they meant one table with no other applications and it would still run slowly. The good news! RAM is very cheap these days even for laptops. Video cards are also quite reasonable, and even moderately priced laptops have decent video cards these day.

Does anyone have problems with a slow CPU ever causing problems for online poker? Celeron processors can still save a few bucks, and it seems they are quite adequate for poker games.

P.S. UB is one of the fastest sites and the mini tables are a big plus when you get used to them.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:03 PM

The fastest site I've ever played at was wsexpoker. It's tough finding a game as there's only maybe 50 people playing the real money tables but they play lightning fast. I am in no way affiliated with wsexpoker.