Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 03:08 AM

Default [censored] Chip Reese!

Mommy, did I play this bad?

-------------------------------------------------------

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (3.70 SB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

5th Street - (6.85 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls

6th Street - (16.85 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (21.85 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets___raises
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___raises___calls

Total pot: (30.85 BB)

Results:
Total pot $61.70 | Rake $1

<font color="white">Hero: [9c 9d 9h Kd Th 7h As] (three of a kind, Nines)

Seat 7: [3d 3c 5d Qh Ad 3s 3h] (four of a kind, Threes)

Seat 8: [4s Jc Jh 6s 5s 8d 7s] (a straight, Four to Eight)</font>
Old 09-29-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Re: [censored] Chip Reese!

Oh Jesus, a lot went wrong on this one. I'll get back to you in a bit...
Old 09-29-2005, 04:13 AM

I think you played it fine. You did just what you want to do... you trapped several opponents with weaker hands, and you got drawn out on. You were still significantly in the lead on 6th after getting those extra bets in multi-way. I'd just be glad you didn't fill up.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:05 AM

Is there anything wrong with playing this fast from the start?

If you do just call on 3rd then the way 4th played out you have
the opportunity to charge most of the table 2 bets if you reraise
here. They'll be making a huge mistake to continue in general.

Aq.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:09 AM

I fast play, but there’s nothing wrong with slow playing. Looks good to me.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:13 AM

Looks good to me. 5th St worked out perfect as the field was trapped. And no way you can fold the river(despite two raises) because we can't place them on those hands.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:43 AM

You played it fine. There are two approaches to rolled hands...play fast or wait till 5th. You took the latter, built a huge pot with a strong hand but one of your opponents drew out. That's life.

My only possible variation would be to reraise 4th. You will still get action and it wouldn't hurt to limit the field a bit at this point (ie, having a couple people drop wouldn't be bad and even if they don't, you get in more money). But I think your approach is also fine, just another possibility.

Jeff
Old 09-29-2005, 11:33 AM

you probably could have folded the river.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You played it fine. There are two approaches to rolled hands...play fast or wait till 5th. You took the latter, built a huge pot with a strong hand but one of your opponents drew out. That's life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes as my title says "[censored] Chip Reese!", Chip is S/S advocates the slow play even with smallish rolled up hands wheras my natural instinct is to pound the raise button like an ape unrelentlessly!

Cheers for the replies guys.

PS - BeerMoney, nice location. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 11:53 AM

I think you played this fine. Yes, you probably can fold the river but I'm not sure I would have in this big a pot. I probably three-bet fourth once it's clear there's plenty action to be had. But that wouldn't have made any difference as far as getting drawn out on. I just lost a 2-4 hand head up with rolled aces the other day, so it happens.