Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: AK too crazy?

I'm not happy about any river bet/raise by my remaining opponent, but getting 11 to 1 at worst I'm calling down.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:17 PM

He's raising for a free card...
If that 2 flush wasnt there this would be an optimal situation for a freecard play. However I still think its the right play.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:23 PM

After the flop none of your outs are clean, and you're still not heads up, so it's not a situation where you could likely showdown ace-high and win it. Plus, the size of the pot should dictate this play: is a 5BB pot worth fighting for in this spot? Maybe yes, maybe no.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really dislike the flop raise. What are you trying to achieve?

Rest is fine and standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the OP:

[ QUOTE ]
My gut instinct tells me to raise the flop to get rid of people, hope for a free card, and plus I got the gutshot brewing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't do it without some good reads on the people to my left, but based on the OP's reasoning, above, I don't hate the raise.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:24 PM

At a weak table (as the read suggests) with villian betting into me on the flop, I'd be very wary and I would definitely be discounting my outs.
You're semi-bluff raise isn't cleaning up any outs and isn't folding everyone and probably a waste.
Once checked to me on the turn though, I'm bet\folding (the club is just as scary to someone without the flush).

With the limited range of hands a weak player is going to bet into a pre flop raiser with, and calling the turn, I'm probably checking behind on the river also. I don't expect to be good here very often, especially when I'm called.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:45 PM

I think we're shooting our implied odds in the ass by raising here, and introducing ourselves to being trapped with this hand.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:54 PM

How are we trapped with the hand? I've got no problem folding if we don't hit our hand by the river. If villain 3-bets us, we can call and reevaluate the turn. It shouldn't be hard to get away from A-high if we don't improve.

I'm not worried about implied odds, either. We've got a weak draw here, and the pot is big. Raise, clean up our overcards, and get a cheap look at two more cards.