Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: The right thing to do? (long)

[ QUOTE ]
When my friends leave things in my car i feel i am responsible for them. And if i lost those things i would pay for them .... You being taken for granted has nothing to do with you paying for what you lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I 'lost' the items I would absolutely pay for them, no questions asked. However, I don't think dropping the items off outside my friend's door, knocking on the door and calling him so he can get them qualifies as 'losing' them, especially when he could have gotten them Friday night if he was responsible. I call it an unfortunate situation where the blame doesn't solely lie on one person.

Anyway, I saw him yesterday, and he had told me he made an itemized spreadsheet of what he had lost. I said, "I see..."- he added, "but I haven't decided what I'm doing yet"- and I told him, "You know what? I know you're a fair person, and I'm sure you'll do what's fair. And I'll go along with it, no questions asked." I'll leave it at that unitl he brings it up again. Thanks for the responses.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Can you wash my clothes for me and drop the bag off?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wash his clothes. Drop the empty bag off.

Bonus points if you're wearing the clean clothes while dropping off the bag.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I saw him yesterday, and he had told me he made an itemized spreadsheet of what he had lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT??! That sounds shady to me...an itemized list...ppft. Tell him to get a job cause he has waaaay too much time on his hands.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually post in the MTT and SNG forums, but I've seen similar stories looking for advice here and figured this one was most appropriate for this forum. If it's not appropriate, just ignore and it'll go away:

Long story short, my buddy left his duffel bag in my car on Friday. Since there was nothing in the bag that couldn't do without until Monday, I figured I'd drop it off then, since he lives 40 miles away from me, but is on my way to work.

At 8am I entered the code needed to get into his apartment complex, and got to his personal door- at that point I realized I didn't have the key to his place, so I knocked on the door and left the bag. I knew he'd be sleeping since he plays poker for a living and typically is getting to sleep around 5am, so when I got back to my car I called him (it rang 6 times and he has a phone in his bedroom) and left a message stating that the bag was next to his door but I couldn't get in.

Well, my buddy calls me at 11:30 telling me he just woke up checked for his bag, and of course it was gone. I'd estimate there was probably $200-300 worth of clothes/miscellaneous toiletries in there. He's pissed and asks how I could have left the bag out in the hall. I tell him I'm sorry and to let me know how much the contents were worth and I'd pay for it.

I guess my questions are:

1) How irresponsible was it that I left his bag out in his apartment hall?

2) Should I be responsible for all the costs? I honestly don't care about the $$$, but I more care about what's the fair/right thing to do.

Any opinions are appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt answer the door, or the phone, his fault.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I saw him yesterday, and he had told me he made an itemized spreadsheet of what he had lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or make him file a police report with his itemized list. Tell him to talk to his renters insurance and have them pay. You agree to pay the deductible, but only to keep your friendship. He was too irresponsible to answer the phone or the door. It is his fault.

WHAT??! That sounds shady to me...an itemized list...ppft. Tell him to get a job cause he has waaaay too much time on his hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-17-2005, 04:28 PM

You are responsible. Imagine this scenario...

You go out drinking for a night, he drives his car to your place, but ends up getting a girl that night and takes a taxi back to his place. The next morning you decide to drop his car off (like a good friend, but without prior arrangement), leave it in his driveway, and put the keys in the glovebox. He calls you later that day and you discover the car has been stolen.

I think it's pretty clear when it involves something of value, that you are responsible for its safekeeping (as far is reasonable). This doesn't include leaving it somewhere it can be taken. Just because it's only $200 or so makes no difference.

And yeah, he's being as ass about it.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:05 PM

Here is lemonPeel's explanation!

He knew you were dropping off the bag, so he devised a devious plan cuz he knows
you're a sheep who will fall for this stuff and he happens to be running bad in his
online poker pursuit.

He pretends to not answer the phone or the door and waits til you leave
and then takes his bag inside, giggling like crazy cuz even hes impressed
that hes so clever. Then, he summons up his best frustrated voice and calls
u up to put a major guilt trip on you, so you'll give him money to pay his
rent.

Dude, you've been had!
Old 08-18-2005, 09:08 PM

its completely on you.

Its not even close. Even though he left his bag by accident, you undertook responsibility for it.

You failed in that responsibility, and now you should pay him. Even a good samaritan should be expected to act reasonably and non-negligently.

Next time a poll may be easier and faster.

Just be glad there wasnt thousands of dollars worth of stuff in there.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Can you wash my clothes for me and drop the bag off?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wash his clothes. Drop the empty bag off.

Bonus points if you're wearing the clean clothes while dropping off the bag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: The right thing to do? (RESULTS)

Thanks to all who had responded before to my dilemma. To let you know, I had told my buddy to come up with a number and I'd go along with it because I know him to be fair. That was about a month ago, and got no response. I sent him an e-mail again yesterday asking him to wrap it up, as I didn't want it hanging over our friendship- name a $ amount, no questions asked. He told me the total value of the bag and contents was $400, and he decided $100 was fair, that to replace a few items his GF had given him.