Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 05:37 AM

Default \"can i have any fukin luck ??\"

The subject is what villain typed after this hand:

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (8 handed) converter

UTG ($29)
UTG+1 ($49.90)
MP1 ($37.50)
MP2 ($90.55)
Hero ($108.20)
Button ($96.15)
SB ($29.25)
BB ($42.85)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $17</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $29</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises all-in to $29.25</font>, Hero calls $.25.

Flop: ($60.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: ($60.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($60.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $60.50

Results below:
SB has Qh Qs (one pair, queens).
Hero has Kh Ks (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins $57.50. </font>

---

I wanted to say "Yes, you did get unlucky that your Queens ran into Kings but why did you four-bet all-in? What did you think I had with my three bet that you were ahead of?"

But then I thought to myself, "Wait a second, he could have had Aces." Now, while I am not going to whine about luck when my big pairs run into bigger pairs, I do wonder whether the play I made to three-bet was as bad as his to four-bet his Queens and I was the one who would be told, "Why did you three-bet? What did you think you were beating here?"
Old 08-01-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: \"can i have any fukin luck ??\"

it is fine to 3bet with kings. it is not okay to min-reraise, though. it announces your hand without getting in enough money. with stacks the way they were, it should go all in on the 3 bet.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:44 AM

I would have bet more but the minraise put villain all-in essentially so I really didn't have to.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:47 AM

Considering he's only got $29 I don't think you can consider folding kings here. First the way the hand was played , you got committed to it. Second, if Villain only has $29 behind, he's probably not that great and can't be given a whole lot of respect. I don't know too many solid players who let themselves get down to $29 in a $100 buy in table. And with only $29 left, a lot of guys will say the hell with it and push in with hands that they normally wouldn't if they had some serious money in front of them. I can easily see him (meaning someone with little money left) doing this with A-K, Q-Q, J-J, 10-10, maybe even a medium pair, A-Q, or even something as weak as A-Js. If he's got the same amount of money as you, and you have reason to respect his play then you can start talking about the idea of laying down kings preflop. I've done it before and will do it again, but not it this type of situation.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:54 AM

Your play, brilliant IMO.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Really, I wish all PF play would go like this every time I'm holding KK.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:45 AM

Both of you played this as well as you possibly could. You push or fold against his raise 100% of the time (why call and see a flop with only $12 left in his stack and $34 in the pot, you're getting odds to call AK UI anyway), which means that he has to call 100% of the time with QQ (and probably JJ, AK and TT, though it's significantly closer).
Old 08-01-2005, 07:23 AM

I think because his stack is so short, it's OK to put him all-in here before something comes and scares him off.

You did fine.

Ryan