Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Anyone else try this strategy?

I'm not ignoring the advice, I understand that it has big faults and I will have to abandon it if I plan on moving to bigger money tables and better players. I was just bringing it up to see if anyone else had found that it works at lower money NL tables. Its worked for the past two months(15k hands) I do post here to get feedback, since I respect the advice of the people on this forum.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:00 PM

Do you start all over when a new player sits down?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:11 AM

so you've played 3hrs made $300 and think you are a 100/hr player at a NL game with a $2BB

gl
Old 06-10-2005, 07:49 AM

of course table image is important. not everyone has pokertracker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
the reverse is also true though, you show a couple of stron hands, and everybody starts playing tighter against you.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:40 AM

So which do you think is a more profitable table image, assuming the same play? Would you rather have your bluffs not respected and get the calls you want or vice versa?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:59 PM

Funny you say this.. I do the exact opposite strategy. I'll raise w/ a good hand especially if I'm the small blind and me and the BB are the only ones left. I love to show my good cards, JJ, AK etc. Then people will peg me for a tight player which will work to my advantage later when im raising w/ 68 offsuit.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the table folds to 2-3x BB find a better table to begin with. If it works great.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, because these type of tables are my favorite to run all over.

Also, I don't see how he is the worst living poker player if he has people calling him with horrible hands. Table image is definitely a factor in NL. Denying that is just crazy - sure people might not call you down to the river with pocket 2's, but all the little things they do (like taking top pair weak kicker too far a couple times) will add up pretty fast. And it may also cause them to make one mistake against you in a monster pot.

While at the smaller stakes playing only with math and your own cards can be profitable, I don't see any harm in trying to learn the intricacies of the game there. If one waits until 2000NL to try these things, it may be a bit more of an expensive tutelage.

Now I'm not saying that the OP has stumbled upon the perfect strategy by any means, but people simply replying with 'people don't care, move on' doesn't really help anybody out. However, this type of advice does sound great for someone who wants to 12 tables 25NL as a job.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:08 PM

Welcome to table image. You've just taken your first steps into a larger world.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 06-13-2005, 04:20 PM

You got in seven raises but only managed to get 1/4 of your stack in? I call bullshit. Post the hand #.

-Eric
Old 06-13-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny you say this.. I do the exact opposite strategy. I'll raise w/ a good hand especially if I'm the small blind and me and the BB are the only ones left. I love to show my good cards, JJ, AK etc. Then people will peg me for a tight player which will work to my advantage later when im raising w/ 68 offsuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good way to steal blinds, but not strong if you're trying to make the most money. You should realize by now that most people call and bluff way too much. So your strategy of appearing tight is actually making them play more correctly against you. You are manipulating the table into becoming more tough. Obviously, this isn't the greatest strategy.

Good luck.
Eric