Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 06:38 AM

Default 2 Hands Not Yet Simple To ME

Sorry No reads, yes I am a beginner, I run acrros these types of situations a lot. In the first hand I am wondering is should I have smooth called the flop in order to get more bets in? In the second hand I was questioning my flop play as well as my agg thoughout the hand. Should I have been more worried about the flush? Should I ahve c/r the flop, r/r the river? Last ? as this is my first hand post how did I do?

Maybe as a bonus you could commit on how different reads my affect the play here. Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 6.16 BB

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Button calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 10-16-2005, 06:46 AM

Default Re: 2 Hands Not Yet Simple To ME

hand 1 you played it great, that is the best line its always boring to win a small pot with a great hand, but that happends occasionally. calling wouldn't have been better

hand 2 i would have played it the same, i might have 3bet the turn, but i think i like your way of playing the hand

wp
Old 10-16-2005, 06:47 AM

looking good with no reads
Old 10-16-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1 you played it great, that is the best line its always boring to win a small pot with a great hand, but that happends occasionally. calling wouldn't have been better

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah why would we want two guys dumping money in to the pot with little/no outs? We almost always have the best hand here and certainly the best draw. Why not let the BB come in drawing super slim? We can still get our value from UTG when we raise the river.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:17 AM

wait till turn with hand 1.

Krishan
Old 10-16-2005, 09:21 AM

Hand 2, I woulda smoothcalled the flop and donked the turn. I think its very important to keep BB and UTG in the hand b/c they drawing pretty much dead. You've got the strait and 2nd nut flush draw why not build the pot and hope you can trap them for another bet on the turn
Old 10-16-2005, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree. Waiting is almost certainly better. You've most likely got the best hand and you've got a ton of outs for a redraw. You have so much equity you don't really care how many come along. Its not about "winning small pots," its about winning money.

In addition, one of those callers may pick up a flush draw if another spade hits and be willing to call two cold on the turn.

On hand two I 3bet the turn.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:55 AM

Hand1 is likley so much better then your opponents I would smooth call the flop and raise the turn.

Hand2 lead out and donk the turn. Three bet if raised.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe as a bonus you could commit on how different reads my affect the play here

[/ QUOTE ]

90% of the time I believe these hands are standard plays against most players. Any reads here would be extreme.

Such in case 1 you knew BB almost always would see flop with any draw or pair regardless of seeing 1 or 2 and UTG is likely to three bet any bad A.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah why would we want two guys dumping money in to the pot with little/no outs? We almost always have the best hand here and certainly the best draw. Why not let the BB come in drawing super slim? We can still get our value from UTG when we raise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

totally! I raise on this flop with the hand OP has is daft,
Old 10-16-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Waiting is almost certainly better.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's close and I don't think either one is substantially better.

Waiting

- squeezes out an extra BB or so most of the time
- costs you the pot a tiny percentage of the time

Raising

- squeezes out an extra BB or so some of the time
- costs you an extra BB or so some of the time
- sets you up to win lots of extra bets once in a while
- costs you the pot never

I like raising.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe as a bonus you could commit on how different reads my affect the play here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling stations? Raise. Likes to go to war on the flop and slows down on big streets? Raise. Betting out obvious sign that he has no hand and is looking to fold? Wait. Betting out obvious sign that he currently has you beat? Raise (and take free card on turn.) Does your recent history with flop bettor lead him to believe that this could be a pissing match? Raise. Will he fold AA on the river if you cap every street? Raise and submit hand as an article to the 2+2 Internet Magazine.

/mc