Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-18-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Who important is learning ICM

Hi, I was wondering how damaging to my game/bankroll my bubble play is considering I don't use ICM(at the moment). Also how can you work it out quick enough in a game, if you use a poker calculator, as it seem to show in the introductory SNG thread. At the moment, I use my instinct, notes,my stack and other peoples stacks sizes to make my bubble desicions. I am a long term winning player but are my well educated guesses hurting my game? Maths has never been my strong point, but Iam going to try to learn ICM. Merry Christmas
Old 12-19-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Who important is learning ICM

Sorry the post was supposed to read:
How important is learning ICM
Old 12-19-2005, 12:06 AM

You probably use it, just that you are not aware that you are using it.

It can't hurt to know it but it is not the end all be all, so don't worry too much.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:07 AM

You don't do ICM calcs on the fly. You just spend a lot of time reviewing situations, get a feel for what's important in making decisions, and what the correct decision is in any given situation. Then you take that with you to the tables and pwn it up.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:08 AM

If you've been playing for a long time, you probably already know most of the concepts involved in using ICM, and have a good, intuitive feel for when to push, call, and fold. For long-term winners, it's not going to revolutionize your game in any way, but you can fine tune your pushing and calling ranges to juice up your ROI a few percentage points. If you've got the money, you don't really have anything to lose...
Old 12-19-2005, 12:17 AM

Most of it's pretty obvious, I think. Like when there's a really short stack on the bubble and you're second or third stack, you should tighten up, and stuff. But, there's a big difference between knowing this stuff qualitatively and knowing it near-exactly.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry the post was supposed to read:
How important is learning ICM

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of ironic considering your handle eh? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of it's pretty obvious, I think. Like when there's a really short stack on the bubble and you're second or third stack, you should tighten up, and stuff. But, there's a big difference between knowing this stuff qualitatively and knowing it near-exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are many hands that are easy pushes or easy folds. But there is a whole range of hands in every situation that is close, and you really need a good understanding/'training' in ICM before you can get it right each time.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are many hands that are easy pushes or easy folds. But there is a whole range of hands in every situation that is close, and you really need a good understanding/'training' in ICM before you can get it right each time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree. I've spent quite a while reviewing my play with SnGPT's and running ICM calcs for different hands...and I am still in the dark from time to time on the proper play in push/fold situations.

I'm sure OP knows some of this intuitively from playing poker for a long time, but I feel like studying this stuff down to a more exact science is really important to your maturation as a player.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:46 PM

Thanks for your replies. I will try to study it. As one reply said, it can't hurt.