Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Overheard a cheating braggart, snitch or no?

I attend the University of Illinois, and the curriculum for the Accounting major is such that I share a lot of my classes with the same people. So I'm in a small discussion section, just hanging out on my laptop waiting for class to begin, and overhear Guy telling Girl behind me about one of my other classes. She asks about the teacher, and his comment is "Kind of weird guy, doesn't really answer any questions...he only creates two forms for the exam and is the only one proctoring." He does not explicitly state that he cheated, but a little bit of induction, and he mentions "I need to get my GPA up to 3.0" adds up to 99% that he cheated on this morning's final exam.

The course has grade breaks that can be lowered if the entire class does poorly, I worked my tail off all semester to earn an A, and Guy just sat next to the smart people and peeked.

I have two questions: the first is, am I being peculiarly naive to have not expected to come across this already in my academic career? I always assumed it happened a little bit, and never actually had it happen around me, generally I only heard about academic dishonesty on problem sets and term papers.

Second is, do I snitch? My feeling is that it might just end up being my word against his, that I have nothing concrete (he did not actually say "I cheated on this exam"), and that it's basically not worth my effort. I have some indignation over this, though: this was not an easy course, and I really earned my A (and have some outside shot of needing a slight curve to make sure it's a flat A, which, ironically, *I* need for my 3.0).

Anyways, I'm still in the class right now, I could even just bring it up to the guy, although that seems like an even worse idea, I don't think anything good could come of it. My other thought was, I have a final exam in this class, if he cheats on everything, he'd probably cheat in here, I could mention it to this professor and have her look out for it.

Thanks OOT! Yes, I searched: I found similar situations (Help cheat on SATs, rat out drug dealer) but nothing too similar: this guy is a total stranger to me, and as a result of a bell curve, is in indirect competition with me.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Overheard a cheating braggart, snitch or no?

I can't really give a good answer since I was the one talking about cheating on the SAT. But for me if you snitch then your a bitch is kind of a general rule for me. I know confronting him is hard to do but is really the way a man would handle it.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:28 PM

Don't snitch. No real good will come of it. Let that guy cheat through college. Who cares? Eventually he will enter the real world with less than adequate knowledge for his field and will be smacked down hard. He'll get his in the end.

Just my $0.02.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:29 PM

Sorry, I meant to add the following: my guess is that trying to rat just costs me a lot of time, and that talking to him would be useless, because if he's gotten this far doing it this way, he's not going to change his ways because some nerdy looking kid tells him not to cheat. My default here was to not rock the boat, but if stepping up is the play in some way or another, that's what I'm asking.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But for me if you snitch then your a bitch is kind of a general rule for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see you cheated on the English portion of the SAT.

To the OP - I would probably turn the guy in if I had proof that he cheated. This is college, and his artificially high grade can, in some circumstances, lower yours or have an otherwise negative effect (no matter how small) on your college career. However, since you simply overheard a confession I don't think you've got enough to warrant ratting him out. For now you can't really do much beside being pissed and remembering that this guy's a bitch if you meet him later in life.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:31 PM

Its possible that you and everybody else in the class would be forced to re-take the test, and the professor would likely be a dick the rest of the semester regardless. I saw this happen firsthand. Let it go.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't snitch. No real good will come of it. Let that guy cheat through college. Who cares? Eventually he will enter the real world with less than adequate knowledge for his field and will be smacked down hard. He'll get his in the end.

Just my $0.02.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think that is true. What about courses like Philosophy or History for a guy that going to be a chemical engineer. Cheating in those courses would not affect his on the job performance. Just like I cheated on the SAT to get into a better school than I could have and I did fine there.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:32 PM

No.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:33 PM

Well the original post mentions an accounting class I thought (I could be wrong and I don't feel like re-reading). I really doubt a history major or music major will be taking an accounting course, no?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:33 PM

I really didn't have to deal with this in college because most of my classes either had around 20 people in them, or were so easy that it wasn't worth worrying about. My girlfriend, on the other hand, has this same problem, and it pisses me off to hear her say people are doing this. You may say never be a snitch, but the cheaters are definitely detracting from your overall grade by boosting their grade if the teacher uses a curve. I tell my girlfriend that she should notify the teacher that people ARE cheating on the tests, but not to say who. I would consider naming names if it were me... they are hurting your grade, and if you don't know them, screw 'em.