Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Can I sue?

Ok, I know I can sue, the question is" Do I have a case?

Scenerio--I am a mailman. A woman had her box blocked and I couldnt get to it, so I drove on by, she stopped me 2 houses later and I explained to her why I didnt deliver her mail etc. She gets pissed and wants my name, I tell her " I dont give out my name, but I will give her my supervisors name/number". Then out of the blue she says' Im going to call the postmaster, because it smells like you ahve been drinking.

Well, she calls the postmaster, and my supervisor and tells them, that I was drunk, she also says she is calling the local paper. The supervisor has to come out on my route and investigate me and my vehicle looking for alcohol. needless to say, nothing was found. Anyway, everyone at work now knows about these false allegations

Do I have any legal recourse against the lady who amde the false statements?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Can I sue?

Sounds like slander to me...
Old 10-25-2005, 02:26 PM

i don't know if you can sue or not, but as long as the people at work know the allegations are false i don't think you lose any respect at all. i have a feeling that you won't be able to sue, but i agree this is very annoying.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:28 PM

is her house big? do you see why?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A woman had her box blocked and I couldnt get to it,

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone? Anyone?

It does sound like slander, but I'm not a lawyer. Perhaps there is some civil action you could take for the mental anguish, thinking your job is in danger, loss of reputation, blah blah.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your only claim is defamation. Attacks against one's profession is slander per se meaning that damages are presumed, however, I don't think you would get big $$ in a lawsuit, thus the above quote is off.

What do you hope to achieve by suing? Teaching the lady a lesson? You will get little to zero money with the headache of a lawsuit, which would include your deposition inquiring into your drinking habits for the past 5 years. Overally, not worth your time if nothing happened to you at work.

Move on with life, put a turd in her mailbox.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:33 PM

Were you harmed? I don't think so, but maybe you now suffer post-traumatic stress fom the incident. Let it go and know deep in your heart that people generally suck.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I know I can sue, the question is" Do I have a case?

Scenerio--I am a mailman. A woman had her box blocked and I couldnt get to it, so I drove on by, she stopped me 2 houses later and I explained to her why I didnt deliver her mail etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why didn't you just hand her the mail instead of some long winded explanation?

Oh and... GET THE HECK OUT OF THE JEEP AND PUT THE MAIL IN THE BOX YOU LAZY GOVT BUM!
Old 10-25-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your only claim is defamation. Attacks against one's profession is slander per se meaning that damages are presumed, however, I don't think you would get big $$ in a lawsuit, thus the above quote is off.

What do you hope to achieve by suing? Teaching the lady a lesson? You will get little to zero money with the headache of a lawsuit, which would include your deposition inquiring into your drinking habits for the past 5 years. Overally, not worth your time if nothing happened to you at work.

Move on with life, put a turd in her mailbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually thinking of small claims, I wasnt thinking of getting rich, just wanted her to sweat a little
Old 10-25-2005, 02:35 PM

You can probably sue your boss/usps for letting this false info out. The woman not so much provided she complained just to your supervisor and therefore did not cause you harm since it was false and you had no direct loss.

Just my guess. Then again, i'm Canadian and we don't sue each other as often as you yanks do.