Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Completing with weak offsuit aces?

[ QUOTE ]
in small blind, in an unraised pot.. your considering folding an Axs????

i dont think it matters if your 6max or not..
maybe i play too looose in my blinds, bc i would never consider folding half a bet with those cards

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf are you trying to hit with your shitty ace? you're OOP and won't feel comfortable if you flop an ace. If you pair your kicker it's going to be low and you either will win nothing or will lose a big pot.

if you say that you're looking to hit 2pr or trips, why not just complete with everything? Ax doesn't hit 2pr more often than any other hand.

you're not trying to win pots, you're trying to win money. Crappy unsuited aces will not win you much money.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:55 PM

Well the Aces-up two pair are a lot better implied odds than others, and often enough people don't believe the bicycle when they see it. If I'm getting 2.5 times as good odds than any of the limpers, how can that not be worth it?
Old 10-13-2005, 04:23 PM

I don't think there is enough information for a yes or no answer here. My answer is "sometimes". It really depends on the limpers. If the limpers are passive preflop, but aggressive post-flop (I see a lot of these in the Full-Tilt 200's), then I just let it go, because I don't want to mix it up OOP with trash against somebody capable of making big moves on me. If they're weak-tight nits, I might complete or I might raise it up preflop. If they're tight and predictable rocks then I like completing and moving them off of their hands on favorable looking flops. If it's a combination of different types of players, pick your poison.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see much wrong with completing here. You're getting 3,5,7:1 on your money, and you're not likely to be that much of an underdog ever. If you hit two pair or an OESD, you're good; otherwise, let it go -- Of course, that's the trick. You can't start talking yourself into continuing when the flop comes 3-4-6 or A-7-2, or chasing the straight with a flush staring you in the face.

I say call it 65% of the time, as long as you have the stack for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you going to hit an OESD w/ Ax UNLESS the flop comes something like 3-4-6? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] going for OESD w/ Ax.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:13 PM

This type of thread always freaks me out. First you get a couple of replies that are so short and direct it seems like they are stating the obvious. Then a couple of 'respected' posters oppose the ideas so far presented. Then there is some humming and hawing by others unsure of why thats the case. Then another 'respected' poster takes the original point of view.

I'm confused as hell again.

Personally, my feeling is fold it. A 4 way, OOP pot with a weak ace sounds like hell to me. Unless I'm in the mood to flop trips that is! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 06:22 PM

Yikes, sorry that was poorly put forth. I think I edited that line a bit too much...

Hitting two more to your straight draw = Good
Hitting your card and a back-door straight draw = Bad

But yes, what I was saying is 3-4-6 is bad, where as 3-5-6 is good.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:25 PM

this is just a function of how often you expect to flop 2 pair + and how much you expect to get paid off when you do.

the advantage is that if you hit 2 pair, you will likely get a bit more action and your 2 pair is tougher to counterfeit.

I just don't think I hit it often enough to make my preflop limp worth it but certainly with respect to number of limpers this could potentially be different.

Its just that the majority of the time I fold AXo from the sb.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not complete in either full ring or 6max.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you stealraise with it more than just two random cards? And if you do, why is it a better stealing hand, than it is to complete?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:39 PM

Two pair, trips, dubious board flushes, low straights. These are all viable hands you can hit with Axo. Two pairs and low straights can be devestating. No way I'm folding for half a bet. Yes if you're gonna get tied to any Ace fold but you don't need to.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:39 PM

if you are going to steal with it, you might as well steal with any 2 random cards.

although the advantage over any 2 random is that lets say you steal with it, you get called.

flop comes with a flush draw. you bet, he calls. somehow you get to the river and the flush doesn't complete and he was on flush draw, with any 2, there are lots of hands that are beaten even by the missed flush draw but at least with the A you have some showdown value.

thats the only advantage I can think of for Ax over any 2.