Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 01:10 PM

Default TPTK, do you love or hate the draw?

We all hate when our AK get raised or checkraised after we hit an A or a K on the flop and we were the preflop aggressor.

But when this happens, in what types of situations do you feel it's most likely that you have the best hand, and what types of situations are you most comfortable continuing with?

I will give two extremes for examples to illustrate what I'm talking about:

1) The flop comes K94r
2) The flop comes K76 with two cards in the same suit

In situation 1) very few hands beat you, but the ones that do, beat you badly (44,99) so when someone raises you on this board there are not many options for your opponents action:
- He has you beat
- He is testing you/bluffing you with a holding that is far behind
- He has something like KQ and is dominated and is overly aggressive. This option I think is rare.

In situation 2) there are alot of more hands villain might make this play with. He could have all the above, but also:

- Have a flushdraw
- Have a straightdraw
- Have a combodraw, one pair + FD/OESD, OESD + FD etc.
- Have two pair (since someone is much more likely to have played a 67 type of hand than 94)

In situation 1) you have to decide there and then if you have the best hand. If you decide that you might, is checkcalling turn and maybe river a good line? I have seen some posts on this forum with similar hands where Hero just went allin on the flop, isn't that a terrible line (villain will fold worse and call with better)?

In situation 2) I think is a better time to consider the allin if you think you might have the best hand. However an allin on the flop is very often excessive considering stack sizes, so I'm kinda lost. If you call the flop to see a safe turn (assuming you thought he might have some kind of draw/combodraw), how do you then proceed if the turn is safe but your opponent bets hard (He could still have the set)?

Bottom line: Which flop do you like best and why? And what flop will you play most aggressivly?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: TPTK, do you love or hate the draw?

to be honest, i like the possible flushdraw flop better. if they are being aggro on a rainbow flop then i can only assume that:

a.) i have them outkicked and they overvalue TPGK
b.) i am behind against 2pr
c.) i am behind against a set

i'd base my play on the player of course.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:00 PM

Yeah, I know this is very general... But without much of read against a player that doesn't seem donkish, how would you tackle situation 2) if this is a situation you favor over 1)?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know this is very general... But without much of read against a player that doesn't seem donkish, how would you tackle situation 2) if this is a situation you favor over 1)?

[/ QUOTE ]

situation 2 i'll probably 3bet or push and then cry at the fact that i'm a donk who can't let go of TPTK facing aggression.