Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: I fail to raise AKo from the BB

[ QUOTE ]
He 3-bets AK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], QQ, and JJ preflop, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. A lot of players seem to limp JJ, usually raise but sometimes limp QQ/AK. When it comes to 3-betting, unless they're a LAG you only see AA/KK when someone 3-bets live. Don't ask me why.

He's a semi-decent player, not a decent or good one.

Another thing to consider is my turn checkraise is pretty strong, and he'd have to think maybe I was slowplaying flopped clubs. Pairing the river and him raising means a boat a hell of a lot of the time. Even if he doesn't have a boat, he could have been the one slowplaying flopped clubs. But there's no way on this frightening board I get raised on the river with AK or less. You just don't see it from reasonable players.

Right or wrong, that was my reasoning anyway. Online, I pay it off every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. A lot of players seem to limp JJ, usually raise but sometimes limp QQ/AK. When it comes to 3-betting, unless they're a LAG you only see AA/KK when someone 3-bets live. Don't ask me why.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see a 3-bet from AK/KK/AA/QQ/JJ all the time when I play live, and I play in pretty passive games. I rarely see a cap from anything except AA/KK, however That said, it's usually either the better players or maniacs doing the 3-betting. Only takes a few hands to figure out which is which most of the time.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your title was 6 words too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

brilliant

preflop has merits on both sides.

I'm calling the river raise.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:31 PM

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO FOLD TO ONE MORE BET ON THIS RIVER, EVER AGAIN.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you list some for the wrong...I mean calling side?
Old 11-15-2005, 07:10 PM

(1) i don't like money
(2) nope, still don't like it

those are the first that come to mind.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But there's no way on this frightening board I get raised on the river with AK or less. You just don't see it from reasonable players.

Right or wrong, that was my reasoning anyway. Online, I pay it off every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the key on the river. If you've played with the player enough to know he's not pulling a crazy stunt, he's only raising you when he's got you beat. Online you have got to call it.

But that takes us back to the question of why to bet out the river in the first place. I guess you potentially steal half the pot from a weakie with another AK with a single club, but that doesn't seem too likely. So what hand that you beat calls your value bet? K9? Top two?
Old 11-15-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you list some for the wrong...I mean calling side?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post(s) rather than just being smug.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By raising you force all the others who already made a mistake by entering the pot, you force them to contribute more money to the pot, thus providing the pot with more dead money

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not necessarily a true statement. While its true they make a mistake by making their original pf call w/a less than adequate hand, when more money goes into the pot their mistake is lessened.

Example

Good player open raises utg, bad player cold calls the raise w/Q7o, 2 players call behind. You look down at AKo and 3 bet, utg calls and badplayer calls. What just traspired here is that bad player called 2 bets cold getting 3.5:2 on his call the first time around. This is clearly a mistake b/c his hand is likely more than a 3.5:2 dog in this situation and he will not play well enough post flop to recoup the losses. When the bad player has to make his next call, he's getting 12.5:1 on this hand. This is clearly a good call b/c his hand is much better than a 12.5:1 dog.

Inflating the pot pf does not necessarily exploit the greatest equity edge against our opponents in this situation. As entity pointed out, I like the ability to disguise my hand and plan my attack based on the flop strenth rather than be caught oop in a huge pot w/no way of protecting my hand.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:05 PM

Bet the turn, dont checkraise.

Check-call the river. I think it is a mistake to fold here against a strong player.