Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Coldcalling QQ preflop

Thanks, found it. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is willing to cold call the QQ preflop.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...8330&page=

I'll post the rest of the hand soon.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:06 PM

if mp3 is very solid i make it $120 pf. you save alot when he has aa/kk and make alot when he has TT/JJ

make a $150 raise on the flop. all hands will be clearly defined from that point on.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:05 PM

Hero actually raised to $225 total. MP1 went all-in for about $425 more. MP3 folded. Pot now about $1215 (including MP1's raise). Hero?

About my raise here on the flop...
I put MP1 on a pocket pair 22-TT, but most likely 77 or 88. I was worried about a set but I thought it more likely he just had an overpair or maybe the flush draw. If he put both MP3 and me on two overcards, his bet makes sense. My hand seemed well-disguised because of my just cold-calling pre-flop, so someone with 77-JJ was likely to play with me.

MP3 I put on JJ or A high flush draw, maybe AA or just AK.

My raise of $175 offers any potential callers almost 3-1 pot odds. Anyone with an A high flush draw has 14 outs (8 spades, 3 aces, 3 fives), about 2.25-1 odds. So maybe just calling and waiting for a safe turn card would have been better.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if mp3 is very solid i make it $120 pf. you save alot when he has aa/kk and make alot when he has TT/JJ

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure I agree with this, though I can see it being viable against certain opponents....basically, with position I like flat-calling with QQ because you can usually tell postflop if the guy has AA/KK as opposed TT/JJ - BUT - if he does have TT/JJ you get much more value out of him than if you reraise.....i.e. - if you reraise with QQ and the board comes all unders, many guys'll get away from TT/JJ whereas you'll often be able to get some money out of them when you don't reraise.....

the other thing is that when the opponent has AK/AQ you don't take the lead away from them by reraising....I've many times won two and sometimes three barrels from an unimproved AK when the board came raggedy and he had no idea he was up against queens.....
Old 12-03-2005, 01:27 PM

Results: I called the $425 all-in bet. MP1 turned over A5o for a straight, and I lost.

I calledexpecting to see a set, but I've seen people do this with overpairs often enough that I figured I was getting plenty of odds to call this (almost 3-1). I probably should have planned better before I raised in the first place.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:08 PM

you need to reraise here. there are several reasons.
you want to see if he reraises.
you don't want to let others in behind you, you already have 2 opponents, you don't want others to join, and if you do not reraise it becomes more attractive for those still to act.
you want to be last to act.
if he is tricky he might call you flat with AA or KK, and then you need to play some poker. however, if you put in a decent raise, he will often reraise or fold. if you can get an idea of where you are, lose MP1, and buy position if the others still to act fold, then you have accomplished a lot.