Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Magoo-ing vs. Donking

I'd just like to say that the original word for Magoo-ing was MAGOO. Where this whole "donking" thing came along is both beyond me, and irrelevant. While we can technically use the term donking, it's really just a secondary derivative of the root word to describe all such activities, Magoo-ing, which is the verbal form of the original word, Magoo. All other terms are secondary in terms of usefulness, originality, functionality and meaningfulness.

This is a quote from an old essay I wrote concerning the matter...

[ QUOTE ]
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I first used the word "Magoo" in my tales from the tables. "Magoo" is a somewhat generic term that originated in Atlantic City. Years ago, Jesus (Zeus) Marrero said "That man plays like that cartoon character, the nearsighted Mr. Magoo. He can't even read his own cards, and he certainly doesn't know what to do with them."

Magoo is a term for a player who is so clueless that even reading the board seems beyond their capacity. Since its beginnings, the term has evolved into a somewhat ambiguous, all-purpose word. It can be a noun, a verb, an adjective, and probably a pronoun or adverb too, if you really get creative. Still, it's primarily a noun, referring to a bad player who makes a bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just had to make that clear. You friggin' Magoos.

al
Old 05-30-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Magoo-ing vs. Donking

You sir, have way too much donking time on your hands!
Old 05-30-2005, 12:35 AM

Also, a MaGoober is the phlem that comes up in your throat after the clueless dope hands you a beat.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:24 AM

In late breaking news, I've just learned that "Magoo" and its derivatives will be added to the 2006 Webster's New World College Dictionary.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:48 AM

Thank you for that clarification in termonology.

I have mastered the art of Magoo-ing. Sadly, this is indistinguishable from my "A" game.

Well, at least I find it entertaining as I hemorrage money.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:08 AM

We're short a few adjectives, but thanks for helping with Mr. Magoo. As well as falling in love with the occassional hat rack, a real Magoo has to be oblivious to his cards and the board. So, there are variables to consider:

1) Magooish: notices some but not all of the cards.
2) Darth Magoo: oblivious to the cards, betting and the fact that he's peed himself.
3) Donk Magoo: has most or all Magoo characteristics, is frustrated by them and gets drunk to combat the tilt.
4) DemiMagoo: plays very well half the time then suddenly loses the capacity to access visual information for several hands in a row, then returns to normal. Can be very tough in a NL game.
5) Imperial Donk Grand Master Magoo: Shows up drunk but was unable to notice card values prior to the first drink. Loses heavily at current limit and then asks for a table change up to the 30-60 or 40-80 where the top locals have just settled in for an evening.

Hope this contributes to this valuable exercise.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:36 AM

Just don't forget the ever popular Muppet. I think Muppet may be the result of someone not remembering which kids TV charactor to use to describe the clueless and soon $$$ less players. In either case it seems to work good.

Al you have to much time on your hands as proved by this post, shouldn't you be busy detailing E.D.'s car?

Megabit
Old 05-30-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Al you have to much time on your hands as proved by this post, shouldn't you be busy detailing E.D.'s car?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you saw what I drive (and the condition i keep it in) you'd understand why the answer to detailing anyone's car would obviously be no. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al
Old 05-30-2005, 01:36 PM

if magoo > donk then stud > holdem and you are clearly from atlantic city.

stud is dead. long live stud.