Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Funny Craps story

Last week I'm hanging out with Photoc and we're playing the $2 craps at boulder station with his roommate (who shall remain nameless). We're all getting pretty drunk, and having a good time. Now normally Photoc's roommate is a dont bettor, but today he's been betting the do's. And once he starts betting one way, he "doesn't switch," that's his rule.

Now Photoc and I are betting $2 pass and come with like 3x odds or maybe 5x at the most, but his roommate is betting pretty big, like $10 with 10x odds etc etc.

We're all doing OK, not winning and losing too much, but lately the streak has been bad for the right bettors, and we're losing a bit. His roommate decides it's time to go, and he's going to make one last big bet. He decides to go against the right bettors (thus breaking his own rule), and bets $25 on don't pass. Photoc and myself faithfully put up our $2 on the pass line.

The point comes 10. I put up $7 odds and Photoc puts up $5 odds. His roommate puts up $250 laying odds AGAINST the 10. He was going to BUY the ten, but changed his mind at the last minute and bet the don't.

The shooter throws the dice again, and sure enough, it's a 10. Pay the do's and take the donts.

Photoc and me do a HUGE high-five and shout out "YEAH!!" We've just won like $28 total between the two of us.

Photoc's roommate is absolutely furious. Oops.

al

p.s. I play craps for entertainment and free beer, so get off me already!
Old 02-21-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Funny Craps story

Good story........thanks. I agree craps is a good form of entertainment, the free beer is just a bonus [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 02-22-2005, 12:38 AM

I can't afford that free beer. I've found the pay-kind to be cheaper.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:44 AM

This is wisdom boys. Nothing is free!
Old 02-22-2005, 09:50 AM

dont play craps. the house edge is like, alot and you will only lose money in the long run. you should see gambler's anonymous.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:50 AM

Don't go to movies. You'll only lose money in the long run.

The house edge is pretty small. If you know that going in and view it as entertainment (and craps IS fun), what's the problem?

Are you suggesting anyone that plays craps or any other -EV game needs to go to GA???
Old 02-22-2005, 07:09 PM

I believe it was a joke.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:58 PM

Oh. Haw haw.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:30 PM

Between the beer, and the comps (which amazingly, they rate you for table games while betting $2 pass and come with multi odds), I can't figure that the theoretical loss (about 1c/decision at the amounts I bet) is going to catch up and force me to really lose much over the long run. If you count the entertainment value, I am probably getting the best of it, or at least breaking even.

Boulder's food is pretty darn good too, particularly for the price. I've earned quite a few comps too, probably more than I would have given myself if I was the pit boss there (I wouldn't give myself chit, actually, my play is too small, and I only bet the good bets).

Also, I can take about a $5 cab ride home if I drink too much.

al
Old 02-24-2005, 02:46 PM

Default do your math please

With SINGLE odds on the pass or come, the house edge is about 0.8%. Since I usually take triple or even 5x odds (there is NO vig on the odds bet) the overall advantage for the house per decision made is less than 0.5% OF THE PASS OR COME AMOUNT ONLY. Since I'm only betting $2 on pass and come, that's about half a penny per decision. And... it's a relatively slow game. I think I can afford that, given the rather high paying job I hold.

So let's review... For my half penny per decision, I get:

1. a good time
2. a few decent comps
3. beer

Not bad at all.

BTW, you should review what exactly the criteria for GA is before you conclude that I should be enrolled in it. I've taken their test before and I don't qualify.

Somehow I knew if I posted this story there would be some nit who doesn't know how to have a good time say something ignorant like you did. I suggest you lighten up and try living it up now and then, life's more fun that way.

I suggest you put $2 on the pass line sometime, then take triple odds, just so you can realize that money isn't everything. I'll send you the half-penny to cover your theoretical loss (so you don't have a heart attack and die because you made a -EV bet).

al