Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 04:42 AM

Default HU stud/8 SnGs on stars

so, i'm (supposed to be) taking a little break after i got my ass handed to me on a couple really big pots in a row at 5/10 (not to mention the hand from my 'i am a total fish' post).

...but...

i've found these HU SnGs on stars, and i love the structure. i've played a dozen or so (mostly $20), and have thus far won a large majority of them. (I used to play a lot of NLHE HU SnGs, forgot how much fun it is).

Tonight i played my first $50 match, and my opponent was noticably WAY tougher than anyone else i've played yet- he had a couple of habits that i think i adjusted to pretty well, but i'd like some imput:

A: every time he had an ace on the door, he raised my bring in, and amost every time, i folded. he got a lot of aces on the door. I reraised him twice, and never just called. i don't feel that i lost very much by adopting this strategy, though the rare reraises weren't enough to stop him from completing every time. how to deal with this? (i also started raising every time I had an ace on the door. heh.)

B: he was very difficult to trap on fifth- if i offered a free card in an attempt to check raise, he'd take the card, and often lead into me on the next street, punishing me severly when he hit. i adjusted by playing more drawing hands and taking the free cards myself. correct?

C: the pots were mostly either very small or very large. we were either folding to the first bet or jamming the hell out of the pot. i tightened up even more, but all that did was make it even more fold-or-jam, should i have loosened up instead? i have no real idea how to handle this aspect of HU play, as i'd never run into it before. perhaps this is just the result of the structure of stud, given that if it's checked on fourth, there's little reason to call a BB without a pretty damn good hand, since your opponent would be betting 3x the pot. maybe raise more bring ins? or does the fold-or-jam tendancy favor the more skillful player? i am stumped.

i'm gonna post this in HU/SH as well, i think... does anyone else here have any intrest in HU matches? i'd like to play some of you guys (for no more than $20, though, to start). any good links, books, etc?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:03 AM

Default Re: HU stud/8 SnGs on stars

I'm a regular at the 10 + .5 and 20 + 1 HU Stud8B games on Stars. I haven't played anything higher, but the 10s and 20s are soft as hell.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:41 PM

I wouldn't mind playing a few of them, but I don't have any money at Stars at the moment and would probably be terrible because I've never really played them before.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:17 PM

I'm down for some HU, just find me on stars: WuBJJ.