Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Trying something from HPFAP (repost from SS forum)

The discussion of the AA hand in this thread HPFAP and the BIG Pots reminded me of a hand I posted a month or two ago in SS. Just curious what people think about it, as I found it a very interesting hand to mull over. It has some similarities to the AA hand, but some key differences as well. Let's talk some poker:

Checking behind on the flop with an overpair to a 3-straight board

You can read the responses generated in that thread, or just reply to the original post, which I repeat here:

I don't have PT available at the moment, so I'll have to give the play-by-play from memory.

I am at a good Party 5/10 table. The opponents in my hand are generally loose and passive for this limit. The villain who bet the turn has some TAGgish qualities.

Three people limp in early to mid position and I raise 2 off the button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. One blind calls as well as the three limpers, so there's five to the flop in a 10 SB pot.

Flop is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. All check to me, and I check.

Turn is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Blind checks, first limper bets, other two limpers call, I raise, blind folds, the three limpers all call (or maybe one of them folded, I don't rememer for sure).

River is the J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Checked to me and I bet.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:54 PM

Default shameless bump

I'm not a high stakes player, and heck I might not even be that good of a small stakes player. But I think this hand is interesting and worth discussing, and I still don't know how I feel about my flop check here, but I'm pretty sure it's not that bad (though it might still be wrong).

Would love to hear more comments from others on the hand.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Trying something from HPFAP (repost from SS forum)

I thinkyou're referring to p. 157ish of HEFAP, where S&M recommend checking on the flop when you feel that your opponents are getting odds to call one bet, so that you can charge them a big bet on the turn, and thus make them make a mistake by calling without proper odds. this only works against players who will call a turn bet regardless of whether they're getting proper odds. this play can be profitable, but it's obviously high variance.

in this situation I have no idea if you applied it correctly. you at the very least convinced the first limper that his hand was best, and induced him to bet what's probably a worse hand. you now have the opportunity to raise him and give draws improper odds.

I've tried using this strategy before, and I think it's only profitable in near-perfect conditions. honestly I don't know if this is a proper situation but it seems to be as good as it gets. sorry I can't offer more help but these advanced strategies make my head spin.