Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Math problem with QQ?

UTG+1 is a 10/2.4/1.1 mouse with a WtSD of 33.9% after 444 hands; MP3 is a maniac. I am near certain that MP3 doesn't have an A; it's the mouse that I am worried about. I haven't been at the table that long; I don't know what my image is to the mouse. What's your play? I think this can be solved with some math but at any rate want to hear your thoughts on check/raising here.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: I am SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">I raise</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">I bet</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Button folds, I call, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
I check, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, I....
Old 07-29-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Math problem with QQ?

Why didn't you go for a check/raise on the flop?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:20 PM

If there was ever a chance to squeeze out the best hand to isolate a maniac this is it. I think that I would just fold as you need quite a parlay. The tight guy to fold out and the maniac not to have and Ace or not draw out with whatever he has and you will have to invest 3bb in a 10bb pot.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:28 PM

Why do you like a check-raise here? Hero raised out of the small blind here. His opponents will read some strength. His opponents may not have an A, and on an A high, fairly drawless flop, some opponents will likely drop on the flop. Check-raising the flop. With only the K overcards to worry about, I don't think extra tough hand protection measures are required here. A bet here just seems a bit more straightforward.

I also like a bet on the flop more because I feel that on this board, a raise is not that likely to come from anything less than an A (edit: except for from the maniac). A flop check-raise may actually get our hero tied to putting big bets in on later streets against a medium A, which would suck.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:31 PM

Jason,

Why not try to go for a squeeze here on the flop? I think bet-3bet against the maniac could rule here, as it might encourage the mouse to fold a medium A (maybe even AJ or AQ if he's a small girl child/giant clown shoe).

I'd rather try such a move on the flop. If I get played with in multiple directions I'm plenty willing to let the hand go on the turn without having to invest the big bucks.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:36 PM

It's tough to make a calculation that is at all rigorous. But you were going to try, I'd factor in the possibility of the BB waking up with a hand also (e.g., 87).

I think it makes the most sense to pick a better spot to take the maniac's $$. However, I also might not be able to resist in this spot...
Old 07-29-2005, 04:43 PM

If you're going to lead you need to 3bet. If the mouse still calls then you know you're beat and can checkfold unimproved.

-SmileyEH
Old 07-29-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to lead you need to 3bet. If the mouse still calls then you know you're beat and can checkfold unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once the mouse calls on the flop, it's fairly like that he has me beat. It's unlikely that he's limping UTG+1 with 78s so my concerns are 66/99 and Ax hands. I don't want to put 3-bets in on the flop when I'm likely behind. The question is how likely is it that he just has a weak one-pair hand that I can fold with a turn check/raise?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:59 PM

jason, the real question here is, from your observations, can you make him fold a weak ace by CRing the maniacs turn bet. If you don't think you can, then I would fold the hand right here. I do think that the mouse would get aggreesive with a set, so its them having a weak ace that is the main question, IMO
Old 07-29-2005, 05:05 PM

I don't really agree with the 3-bet the flop idea since we can do the same thing on the turn and make it more expensive for the mouse.

If we assume MP3 is never ahead here and BB will fold, than we need to fold the mouse 1/5 times to be profitable. Since MP3 and BB may stick around sometimes, it's probably more like 1/3 times.

I don't know how often a 33% wtsd player folds with an ace here, but I would guess it's probably very close.