Ms PacMan 30 19.11%
Tapper 7 4.46%
Galaga 49 31.21%
Frogger 16 10.19%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: How much do you smoke?

[ QUOTE ]
Some people have an enormous amount of stress in their lives and cigarettes may help them relieve it.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is quite simply wrong. I was a smoker for 15 years and finally realised that the only reason cigarettes relieve stress is because they take away that nicotine induced desire for a cigarette. This nicotine imposed desire adds to stress, not reduces it. By having a cigarette you take the edge off it though, and thus feel you have relieved your stress. People who are not addicted to nicotine find that cigarettes do not relieve stress in any way. It took me a fifteen years to figure that out, but once I did I felt rather liberated and was finally able to give up.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what about people truly peer pressured into smoking or people that grew up around it and smoke because of that? They may now see it is "stupid" in a health sense but are addicted and have tried everything in attempts to quit. I have a hard time believing you are smarter than the next man because you don't smoke cigs.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this though. People who have never been addicted don't understand just what a major hold it has over you. People will jump all sorts of mental hoops to justify it to themselves and even those who fully accept the health implications and that they are addicts still struggle greatly with stopping.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:22 PM

i just quit yesterday.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some people have an enormous amount of stress in their lives and cigarettes may help them relieve it.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is quite simply wrong. I was a smoker for 15 years and finally realised that the only reason cigarettes relieve stress is because they take away that nicotine induced desire for a cigarette. This nicotine imposed desire adds to stress, not reduces it. By having a cigarette you take the edge off it though, and thus feel you have relieved your stress. People who are not addicted to nicotine find that cigarettes do not relieve stress in any way. It took me a fifteen years to figure that out, but once I did I felt rather liberated and was finally able to give up.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what about people truly peer pressured into smoking or people that grew up around it and smoke because of that? They may now see it is "stupid" in a health sense but are addicted and have tried everything in attempts to quit. I have a hard time believing you are smarter than the next man because you don't smoke cigs.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this though. People who have never been addicted don't understand just what a major hold it has over you. People will jump all sorts of mental hoops to justify it to themselves and even those who fully accept the health implications and that they are addicts still struggle greatly with stopping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant the stress part more of as a stress-relieving mechanism. Whether or not it actually reduces stress is a different story.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:44 PM

I got some of this it was ridiculus. When it came in I smoked a big hit alone. Everyone on Law and Order looked at me and started talking about me doing drugs. I was alone, it was odd. Then I started giving hits out. One guy turned retarded and drooled on himself and did the little hand thing that retarded people do. He thought he was retarded. Another guy went to prehistoric time and started crawling around on my floor. I have other stories of it but not as good. It always makes the tv come alive or the world explodes.

On a side note, Nitrous is the good version of that.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:47 PM

There are many ways to relieve stress. Some are good for your health, and some are bad for your health.

Of course, I'm guilty of both.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:52 AM

Anyone who averages more than one session of weed a day has serious issues IMO.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who averages more than one session of weed a day has serious issues IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you suggest i do? also, are my issues psychological?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:31 AM

What about pole smokers?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

what do you suggest i do?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah so smoking less would be the obvious solution.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:36 AM

As for cigarettes:
I started smoking when I was 18 (5 years ago) and worked my way up to smoking a pack a day in about a year.

In that time, I quit twice. Once for 3 months, cold turkey. Once for 2 months, cold turkey.

Currently, I am in the middle of a bet with my roommate for $200 as to who can go without smoking the longest. (We took a break from this bet in Vegas about a month ago...)

Honestly, I haven't had too much trouble in quitting, except for when I'm really drunk, or when I just lost a lot of money on a wager where I was expected to win. However, with the two previous times I "quit," at some point I decided that I didn't care anymore, and immediately resumed my pack a day habit.

As for weed:
I started smoking weed in High School when I was like 16 (which actually led to the cigarette smoking). I have always had 1 or 2 friends that sold weed, several of which became roommates of mine in college. Making weed very abundant.

I kind of go through cycles where I'll by like a quarter ounce once a week and smoke a shitload every day for a while, and then I hardly ever smoke at all for a while.

During school, I try not to smoke too much, as it makes me retarded when doing HW.

I have never tried to stop smoking weed, and I don't feel like it's a problem.