Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 10-26-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Shady potential fraud and thievery (long)

Please note that the events in question are not about me, but rather a friend (not a "friend", a friend).

This story begins over a year ago when Sean and Dave were roomates (names changed for confidentiality reasons). Sean owed Dave around $100 dollars. Sean decided it would be a good idea to let Dave use his party poker account to pay back the $100 (morons).

Dave racked up over $800 in losses on Sean's account. Needless to say, Sean was pissed. Dave and Sean worked it out, and Dave was to pay Sean the $700 in debt. That was over a year ago.

Since then, Sean has repeatedly pestered Dave about the aforementioned debt. Unfortunately, Sean lacks some of the resolve necessary to retrieve the aformentioned debt. He was unable to intimidate Dave into giving him the money. He spoke to the parents of Dave about the debt, explaining he did not want a bad situation to arise. The parents said they would talk to Dave. He has not heard anything more from them.

Sean has been trying to contact Dave for weeks now. In the past, when Sean talked to Dave, Dave would promise the money at some future date, but never deliver. Recently, Dave has been avoiding Sean, ignoring his calls, etc. Sean finally got through to Dave. Dave said, in short, "I dont have the money right now, what do you want me to do?" Needless to say, Sean is pissed.

Around this time, Sean realized he had the login information to Dave's online bank account (do not ask me how he got this, this story is ludicrous I know). Sean has come up with a rather risky idea.

Sean will wait til Dave has the required money in his account, deposit that money to party poker, transfer the money to his party poker account, then transfer the money to his neteller account.

What are the moral and legal ramifications of this situation. Also, does Sean HAVE to wait for the money to appear in Dave's account. I have noticed that at times when I use IGM pay, money will appear in my Party account but not be removed from my bank account for upwards of 4 days. If Sean can deposit on credit, then cashout, will Dave incur an overdraft fee? (Sweet revenge if so).

Finally, please note again that this is in no way me, and Sean does not even know I have posted this on 2+2 (nor does he to my knowledge know this forum exists).

Again, what are the moral and legal ramfications of Sean's intended actions.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: cross posted in oot
Old 10-26-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Shady potential fraud and thievery (long)

that is the worst idea i've ever heard
Old 10-26-2005, 08:41 PM

OOoo, easy.

Sean deposits with Dave's bank account without Dave's authorization = Sean goes to jail.

To me it just sounds like Sean made a mistake letting Dave use his Party account. Expensive lesson learned.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-26-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Responses

If you were a good poster, and you were to post strategy analysis, and simply put call/fold/raise etc, without any logical reasoning, it would be a poor post. The same applies here. I know its a bad idea, why or why not. What governing body will investigate/punish Sean? In what manner? Etc.

Thank you
Old 10-26-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The worst? Are you sure?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:08 PM

Gamble up!

Transfer the money to Party but do not inter-account transfer it. Dump it in a big NL game to a 3rd party. No solid tracks now. Use the library computer. Overall risk? Medium, kinda like selling a pound of dope.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:23 PM

People act like such tools, like $700 is an ungodly large sum of money, they're willing to ruin friendships and embarass the hell out of themselves and ruin their name over 700 bucks, sad.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Responses

[ QUOTE ]
If you were a good poster, and you were to post strategy analysis, and simply put call/fold/raise etc, without any logical reasoning, it would be a poor post. The same applies here. I know its a bad idea, why or why not. What governing body will investigate/punish Sean? In what manner? Etc.

Thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

When someone posts a really dumb, obvious hand, we don't need to do strategy analysis. This is a very very bad idea. If your friend is caught (and He will definitely be caught, since your other friend will call the bank, which will confirm that hte money was transferred to Party Poker) he will face criminal charges, possibly even federal charges because it might involve transactions across state lines and the wire act. He would almost certainly face some jail time. Not worth it for $700.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:30 PM

i was in a similar situation with a kid who owed me about $1300. he had given me his email address password and after he ran his account up, i reset his password (i knew his address since i kenw him in real life) and took it all back. he had more in there and i gave his password to another friend who he also owed money to. he even called me the next day demanding i give it back!