Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 09-21-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Harrington on Holdem Vol 1

I just think it's an awesome source of poker material. I'm only about haflway through it (bought it 3 days ago) and you just get this sense that Harrington has possibly the deepest understanding of the game out of all the top pros at the moment. Also too, I like his style as compared to Sklansky, Malmuth, Ed Miller etc... who can get easily bogged down in math arguments - all of you who have read Theory know exactly what i'm talking about.
It's a much easier read and very well suited for someone like me who has failed at tourney play for a very long time, while becoming more and more confident in ring games, and not understanding why the two dont translate into each other.
The book reminds me of when i was reading WLLH for the first time and was continually caught slapping my forehead in revelation. Thoughts and comments appreciated.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Harrington on Holdem Vol 1

I have both volumes, havent started reading either, just a couple pages of Vol I. I like how he includes real live experience in trying to get his point across (like a hand he played in at the 2003 WSOP final table, etc...)

In GSHE, Volume I is recommended as further reading for no limit rather than tournament holdem (Volume II is recommended for tourney play)

I completely agree with you about being bogged down with the math in Sklansky's books.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:36 AM

Yeah, thats the first thing i read when i picked up the book at barnes and nobles and started flipping thru it. He not only explains what he was thinking but makes educated guesses on Farha's, Moneymaker's and Vahedi's plays as well - awesome, simply awesome
Old 09-21-2005, 01:52 PM

HOH 1 & 2 are both excellent!

I am still not quite sure what vigorish is, but I feel that I have a much better understanding of NL ring and tourney play now.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am still not quite sure what vigorish is

[/ QUOTE ]

"Vigorish" or "vig" is just another word for "edge." It's usually used when describing a house advantage. I thought that Harrington's use of it was odd, but it made sense.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am still not quite sure what vigorish is

[/ QUOTE ]

"Vigorish" or "vig" is just another word for "edge." It's usually used when describing a house advantage. I thought that Harrington's use of it was odd, but it made sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've most often heard it used to describe the edge the bookie has in sports betting.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:15 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
Yeah, thats the first thing i read when i picked up the book at barnes and nobles and started flipping thru it. He not only explains what he was thinking but makes educated guesses on Farha's, Moneymaker's and Vahedi's plays as well - awesome, simply awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

/agree

somtimes you have the feeling that you looking over his shoulder and hear his thinking, or that you are sitting with him together and have a nice conversation!

awesome, simply awesome!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:24 AM

"Harrington on Hold'em" will do for No-Limit what "Hold Em Poker For Advanced Players" did for Limit.

It is the beginning of the No-limit Renaissance!!

[Ok, slight exaggeration. But I have no doubt that HOH will spawn a tital wave of No-limit books.]
Old 09-22-2005, 03:03 PM

Add my name to list of HOH fans. For me, the best part is the problems...here's your cards; here's your position; here's how villain A, B, C have been playing to this point; here are the chip counts...here is where you are at after you didn't play it right and called it anyway [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] What do you do now?

That is what I love most about the books. If I get a call wrong, I read his analysis a few times, then reference other books and try to work it through in my head...great stuff.

As for the theory and the like, I lean toward those math books some people dislike, but for the situation awareness and decision making drills, this is godsend.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:40 PM

Having read both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, I will agree with the above assessments. Even though it is a 'no-limit' holdem tournament book, much of the advice/ideas/concepts are easily extrapolated to other games. Quite simply, it is unquestionalby the best tournament poker book(s) available. And we get another Volume soon! How great is that!