Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 10:18 PM

Default NL Raising Question

5-5NL game at Isle of Capri. Game is quite loose, with often 6 or 7 limping to the flop and once they're in that pot, they're not leaving unles they see a flop, often calling a late position raise and sometimes a re-raise as well. My question revolves around raising with hands like KQs or AKs. I picked these up twice and would raise to around 25-30 and received 3-4 callers. I was beat by J3s (not in a blind) and A6s (also not in a blind). Both hands hit 2 pair on the turn after calling reasonable bets on the flop (once I wiffed and caught a Q on the river and the other I hit the K on the flop). Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: NL Raising Question

Raise preflop is fine but you have to remember people in low stake live games are there to gamble and have fun not fold. Keep getting money in preflop with your premiums but continuation betting against 4 players without some big outs is usually throuwing money away.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:39 PM

KQs I would be limping in this situation for sure. AKs, I would be inclined to raise. FWIW, in the situation you describe, I would probably only raise QQ-AA and AK, playing the other high pp's for set value.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:50 AM

Yeah...lesson learned.