Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: 94% of Americans believe God Exists

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and someone saying that they are absolutely sure that god does exist is not the same because of logical reasons but probably just as ridiculous.. also this person would be more inclined to have their "official" belief as 100% that theree is a god because if not......well you know... the whole wrath of god thing

[/ QUOTE ]

prodigy, I am confused. Can a person be 'certain' there is a god? Are they also a moron for believing that?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think that a person can be 100% sure that theree is a god, but there is a reason to claim to be 100% sure that there is a god, but not one to be 100% sure that theree is no god.

I'm not exactly sure how the whole not being able to prove a negative think works, but i think it's applicable in this situation.

and no, a believer cannot be blamed for claiming to be 100% sure that there is a god because that comes with the belief.. i only consider them morons because of such a belief in god, not becuase their 100% sureness claim.

you should probably just commit yourself to hell if you give odds to the christian god's existence.. I'm pretty suree he'd be pissed off
Old 12-13-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How could 8% more believe in mythical angels then believe in hell? What the hell is wrong with people?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think all jews believe in hell, but do believe in Angels. This might account for a few %.

Melch
Old 12-14-2005, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but anyway that 1% that say they are sure that god does not exist are ovbiousely morons

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%
Old 12-14-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but anyway that 1% that say they are sure that god does not exist are ovbiousely morons

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%

[/ QUOTE ]

as should all of the poker players here
Old 12-14-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
78% believe in angels, 70% believe in hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

How could 8% more believe in mythical angels then believe in hell? What the hell is wrong with people?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assure you that the legend of Vladimir Guerrero is very real.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain???
Old 12-14-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain???

[/ QUOTE ]

oh i mean that poker players use odds frequently..there's nothing really to that statement

i just think that odds should be placed on any negative statement and possibly all positive statements...100% in the official sense is hard to come by
Old 12-14-2005, 08:06 PM

"Surprisingly, some 61% of those who seldom or never attend church are nevertheless convinced that God exists."

I assert that the majority of those in this group really don't care much about God or faith, but like to say they do. These people may indeed believe a God exists, but are being completely disingenuous to pledge "one nation, under God". Any thoughts?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:28 PM

Um, am I the only one who thinks this 94% number is complete and total [censored]?

[ QUOTE ]
women a little more likely than men (82% vs. 73%)

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I checked, that would mean the total percentage of the population that believes would be:

0.5(82%) + 0.5(73%) = 77.5%, perhaps a hair more if you give women 51% of the population as they're supposed to have.

Unless there is a giant undercground population of religious fanatic eunuchs that I don't know about.