Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-13-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: 94% of Americans believe God Exists

Ya those 94% of people are retards.

I'm glad a bunch of losers on a poker forum online have finally unwrapped the mysteries of the universe.

I know human beings have believed in some form of religion or god(s) throughout all recorded history, but thankfully we here have figured everything out.

We're so smart, gosh dang I feel so superior.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i remember this figure of 94% about 10 years ago, or maybe it was 96%. I'm very dissaapointed that it hasn't changed but 10 years is a short time. but anyway that 1% that say they are sure that god does not exist are ovbiousely morons. ..and i hope no one in here think that...i mean ur in a poker forum!!! give it odds sohnnnn!!

and i hate the noncommital attitude of americans... if you're going to believe in god (as long as it is a specific god) then go to church and try to live a holy life. I mean, I'm a non-believer, but everyone wants all of the reward and none of the sacrafice..

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I am one of the morons.

This topic of certainty has been addressed before. Wonder why people can be certain there is one but not that there isn't? You want odds - how about 1 google to 1 against there being a god.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya those 94% of people are retards.

I'm glad a bunch of losers on a poker forum online have finally unwrapped the mysteries of the universe.

[/ QUOTE ]No one has said they finally unwrapped the mysteries of the universe. Meerly that God doesn't seem to be a satisfactory answer.

[ QUOTE ]
I know human beings have believed in some form of religion or god(s) throughout all recorded history, but thankfully we here have figured everything out.

[/ QUOTE ] This shows that the belief in God is at least beneficail in some way. But does nothing for it's correctness.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i remember this figure of 94% about 10 years ago, or maybe it was 96%. I'm very dissaapointed that it hasn't changed but 10 years is a short time. but anyway that 1% that say they are sure that god does not exist are ovbiousely morons. ..and i hope no one in here think that...i mean ur in a poker forum!!! give it odds sohnnnn!!

and i hate the noncommital attitude of americans... if you're going to believe in god (as long as it is a specific god) then go to church and try to live a holy life. I mean, I'm a non-believer, but everyone wants all of the reward and none of the sacrafice..

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I am one of the morons.

This topic of certainty has been addressed before. Wonder why people can be certain there is one but not that there isn't? You want odds - how about 1 google to 1 against there being a god.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's absolutely fine in my mind, i put about as low odds on it also, but simply from a person's respect of logic and reasoning, giving it NO chance is ridiculous... i suppose saying there s NO chance is much easier and get's the general point across, if giving your "official" belief i think most would give it odds (however low they may be) rather than giving a somewaht irrational "NO chance" answer

and someone saying that they are absolutely sure that god does exist is not the same because of logical reasons but probably just as ridiculous.. also this person would be more inclined to have their "official" belief as 100% that theree is a god because if not......well you know... the whole wrath of god thing
Old 12-13-2005, 08:02 PM

61% of those who seldom or never attend church are nevertheless convinced that God exists.

These idiots had better be going to hell.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
61% of those who seldom or never attend church are nevertheless convinced that God exists.

These idiots had better be going to hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

word
Old 12-13-2005, 08:44 PM

I can't find a link, but I remember a similar poll of many countries around the world testing for belief in god.

America came right up there at the top, along with many African nations like Nigeria and some fundamentalist muslim states. I remember the athiest nations at the very bottom were the UK, Sweden and South Korea. I can't find a link to the poll though, I did try. Perhaps someone else remembers it and has a link?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't find a link, but I remember a similar poll of many countries around the world testing for belief in god.

America came right up there at the top, along with many African nations like Nigeria and some fundamentalist muslim states. I remember the athiest nations at the very bottom were the UK, Sweden and South Korea. I can't find a link to the poll though, I did try. Perhaps someone else remembers it and has a link?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this link - half way down is a list of the top fifty countries containing the largest percentage of people who identify as atheist, agnostic, or non-believer in God.

http://www.pitzer.edu/academics/facu...n/atheism.html
Old 12-13-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and someone saying that they are absolutely sure that god does exist is not the same because of logical reasons but probably just as ridiculous.. also this person would be more inclined to have their "official" belief as 100% that theree is a god because if not......well you know... the whole wrath of god thing

[/ QUOTE ]

prodigy, I am confused. Can a person be 'certain' there is a god? Are they also a moron for believing that?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Linky

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it list the wording of how God is defined? Does "the power that binds the universe together in a set of laws" count as God? Perhaps some people are counted in this way, even though they don't believe in the Christian God in that sense.