Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 05-28-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Bankroll Question

I usually play small(10-50$ buying) No-limit cash game with a bunch of friends. I have read some books and read these forums actively and take the game pretty seriously. I have become a consistent winner at these games and two of my friends have offered to bankroll me for the summer with 200-300$. I am usually a no-limit hold em player, but would not be completely averse to learning limit. Anyway what limit do you think I should start out at? Also what kinds of things would you guys do to get started in playing online poker?
Old 05-28-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Question

If you have balls, 5/10.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:20 PM

why are you telling this guy this? dont be a douche.

play limits with a 300 bb bankroll. this means that .5/.1 is as high as you can play on $300. to play 5/10 you need 3k.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:25 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

[ QUOTE ]
If you have balls, 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, .05/.10 is a little low. for that he could play micro up to about .50/1.00. limit requires a completely different strategy than nl though,you cannot win it all back in one hand.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:54 PM

Please don't jump into limit for real cash unless you know how to play it and play it very very well..It's not the same as no-limit.
Take some time and learn limit for free at the play tables online...give it some time just like you did no-limit.
Then after a while at that go play for some cash..start at the microlimit and work your way up.
You'll probably do fine after awhile...just learn how to play it well first so you don't loose your shirt and have to dig out of that hole.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:07 PM

The swing from NL to limit is more dangerous to your bankroll than the reverse, especially at the lower limits. With $300 I agree that $.50/$1 would be a good place to start if you take the time to read one or two of the good beginning low limit books (Lee Jones or Lou Krieger). Be very aware that you often have to play to a show down and that even at the lower limits you can find players with ability who just love to lure the type of bluffs that work well in NL.

Go slowly and good luck.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The swing from NL to limit is more dangerous to your bankroll than the reverse, especially at the lower limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that for games with the same EV and variance, no-limit risk of ruin is basically the same or a very tiny amount less than risk of ruin in limit games. The kurtosis is an x^4/4! term so it doesn't seem to matter much.

Jerrod