Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Bet or Slow Down

Playing fairly aggressive on Party, but having a rough day. Therefore I've became a little tentative on river. Here's a typical hand from this session...

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6.66 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds.

River: (8.66 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero......

To bet or not to bet....
Old 02-14-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Bet or Slow Down

I check. He's not calling with a busted flush/straight draw and the only thing he's calling with that you beat is a smaller PP (unlikely since you raised PF and have to be representing the King) or maybe a smaller J. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:24 PM

I would probably bet here, but would need more information.

If UTG+2 has a high c/r% and river AF, with a low flop and turn AF, then I think checking behind is good.

If UTG+2 has anything near aggressive tendencies on flop and turn, with a low c/r%, then I'm betting.

With no reads, I would lean towards betting here. UTG+2 can be on QJ, JT, TT, JJ, mid-low pockets. A bunch of hands. He did not do anything out of the ordinary on the flop and turn, I think you are still ahead.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:33 PM

UTG+2 is not very aggressive. He could be on a flush draw, so a check may induce a bluff, but if he's NOT aggressive like I thought he wouldn't bet. Of course, I may be ahead, so I should bet out here. My tendencies recently have been to bet and call a raise (unless I have the player flagged as passive, then a bet/fold is in order).

However, like I said I was running bad yesterday, so I'm trying to re-evaluate my river play (a piss poor 38.89% W$SD over 1k hands yesterday...not reflective of my normal game, but it was a slap in the face none the less).
Old 02-14-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He could be on a flush draw, so a check may induce a bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

A check may not induce a bluff here, since you are acting behind him [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
(a piss poor 38.89% W$SD over 1k hands yesterday

[/ QUOTE ]

Small sample.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably bet here

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume we intend on folding to a raise?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A check may not induce a bluff here, since you are acting behind him

[/ QUOTE ]

Been reading too many other posts and forgetting my own....

Yes, small sample, but I'm trying to make sure that I'm not modifying my play during a session based on poor outcomes. In other words, the cards may not be falling for me, but I should remain aggressive.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably bet here

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume we intend on folding to a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I'm playing good, yes.

And this, also, needs to be based on reads. If the player is aggressive, then I would call. He could have hit a pair on river and got excited. If the player is passive, then yeah... fold.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Results....

For what it's worth, I bet out. The player just called. My second pair, top kicker lost to pocket Queens.

This is the kind of calling station I want when I have a King, but not what I want with Jacks....
Old 02-14-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Results....

Minus the lack of a 3bet from villain here, I actually kind of like his line here. There's only one overcard to his pair and calling down gets you to bet the hand for him. I might have bet the river if I were him and folded to a raise. Am I crazy?