Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-13-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Limping/Spewing with 55

Table was playing pretty loose up until this hand, so I limped in and got raised instead...

Button is 21 VPIP 9.5%PFR and 2 AGF over whopping 920 hands.

SB is 28 VPIP 6.7% PFR and 1.5 AGF over 120 hands.

Ultimate Bet 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>SB checks, Hero ??

I bet out with my OESD, and get raised by the PFR which is pretty standard for him. I decided to 3-bet, and now I feel like I'm spewing. (Of course I didn't at the time) Comments?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Limping/Spewing with 55

Without SB, it would be spewing, with SB calling away, it's pot building. It just didn't work out this time.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:30 AM

Preflop fine...I'd call the raise just to see but I'm trying to hit trips

Flop - perfect you at least got a draw. Depending on action I'm check calling. There is no way I'm leading because I want to see a cheap turn at least.

3bet is spewing, especially since you already have a SB who is willing to call the reraise cold

[ QUOTE ]
I bet out with my OESD, and get raised by the PFR which is pretty standard for him

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems like if you thought this was standard procedure for this guy then you would definitely not want to lead out. I don't think you are hurting yourself if it checks through and give a free card. By allowing him to raise you force 2Cold to the SB.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Without SB, it would be spewing, with SB calling away, it's pot building. It just didn't work out this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your building a pot with a weak hand against two people who are willing to call you. All you are really managing to do is get yourself tied to a pot that you just can't let go of. You'll find yourself on the river with a decent pot, four overcards and calling "just to see"

Bad plan to me.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:35 AM

I agree with your flop decision entirely. The button's raise probably represents some UI overs or an above-the-board PP. I am pretty unsure about the small blind's holding here, though. Possibly a higher PP. Nonetheless, I think with the OESD this line is good.

The turn card is not too scary, as it only likely helps two raising-ish hands AT and KT. I would probably lead here again.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:36 AM

*grunch*

I'm torn on this; you are much more likely up against AK, AQ, KQ, etc. than you are a made pair, so I don't think it's so bad to take the lead in this hand. I would continue to lead the betting on the turn and river unless you are raised again, but in any case you've got good odds to call down your OESD by the time you get to the turn.

On the other hand I think the play on the flop is not what I would have done at all. If I were really interested in taking control of the hand I would have check-raised the flop instead of betting out.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:51 AM

c/r on the flop, if button 3-bets, call and c/f the turn UI. Otherwise lead the turn, call if raised, and c/c the river if its HU, otherwise I would c/f if SB is still around.

I encourage c/r the flop to gauge your opponents strength, if they 3-bet you and you improve on the turn, you are likely to extract a few more bets from them. c/r may also force overcard draws to fold on the turn.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:06 AM

There's a chance that we hit our hand and end up with the suckers straight. I would put Button on two overcards or an overpair. I don't think the 55's are good. I'm not sure what SB is on, but I'm not sure he knows either. We have 6 clean outs (2 Fives and 4 3's) we'll count the 8's as only two. That gives us 8 outs. We're gettig 2:1 on our bet and we're probably 2.1:1 to make the hand by the river. With implied odds we're safe building this pot.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:59 AM

The fives are dirtier than an old man's underpants.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:29 AM

I think leading out here when you have a read on the PFR that he'll auto-raise with OCs is a good move to protect your hand. I'd be slightly perturbed when SB called 2 cold unless I had a read that he's a chaser.

I'd call instead of 3 bet the flop then donk the turn if a safe-ish card fell. I do this to stop SB and Button getting a free look at the river if they have overcards.

If raised on the turn, call and c/f river UI. If they call the turn, c/c UI.

If one of my outs hits on the river then b/3bet if it's a 3, otherwise b/c. I don't like a cr here as there will be a 4-straight on board and it may well get checked through.

I hate hands like these -- never sure where I am.