Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: AA in early stages of a STT

I would probably make it t60 at level 1. I think 10xBB is major overkill.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:53 AM

Call and hope someone else bets. Just remember if it goes unraised, you have to tread very carefully postflop. I tend to only do this if I know there are a couple of aggressive players behind me.

In this example it looks to me like your 3x raise got you heads up so these seems like a bad example.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:03 AM

my standard play on the flop would be to push right away, unless he has one of the few hands that beats you (KK/QQ/99/QT) he has a very tough decision to make. don't let him draw out on you.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:29 AM

Yeah, in a party SNG im poppin up to at least t70 level 1. Im not familiar with paradise, but anything above t50 sounds like a good plan. Also, i like a fold post flop in this situation, but it really depends on the buy in. BTW, Id call this instantly in the 33s and down at PP.

-EV
Old 11-24-2005, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my standard play on the flop would be to push right away, unless he has one of the few hands that beats you (KK/QQ/99/QT) he has a very tough decision to make. don't let him draw out on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think pushing is a bit extreme. You are risking 1100 chips to win 75. You are behind trips, the straight, 2 pair, and some combo hands draw hands(Qd Jd, Jd Td, 8d td).

AA is a 4:1 favorite preflop. At this point of the hand you could be drawing to runner-runner. Other than AK I don't see what hand you are more than a ~3:2 favorite against.

I think you are ahead here most of the time. I think it might cost you too much to find out.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:22 AM

damn, i gotta pay more attention, thanks.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:10 PM

For the record, I called. He had Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Flopped a straight. I figured he had hit his pair of kings or something, as many of the players in these low limit tourney's will push immediately with top pair. Anyway, I guess I'll try slightly larger raises in early stages from now on.