Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Question regarding spelling

i think if it makes the sentence incomprehensible, it gets on my nerves.

i know i just spelled "there" as "their" in a previous post, but decided not change it.

i also never proof readed a paper i've written in my life.

maybe you would like that "eats, shoots, and leaves" book.

its all about small grammatical errors and the such.

the first paragraph describes a situation where store sign reads: CD's! Video's! Electronic's!

and then the author writes, "if this doesnt get on your nerves, put this book down now."

so i did.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quite frequently when I see someone , who I only know online , (punc. -1) spell a common word incorrectly (and it's clear that it's not a typo (shortened form, -1) or just a shortening of the word so it's quicker to type), I think of them as less intelligent (unless English is not their first language, in which case I'm just amazed at their proficiency at all in comparison to my complete ineptitude at anything that's not English). (Awk. -1, run-on, -1)

Firstly, everyone else thinks this too, right? Just to be clear btw (-1) I'm talking about people who I only know online, because when you know someone in person it's generally easier to gauge how intelligent you think they are. (Awk. -1)

Anyway, for those of you who do this, if you see someone write a word like "realise", "analyse" or "tyre", do you tend to assume they don't know how to spell or do you consider that (-1) they might be British?

It bothers me slightly, I suppose, that people might be judging that I've made spelling errors when I haven't. Yes, I care too much about this, you don't need to tell me this.
(Overuse of contractions and awk. again. -1)

[/ QUOTE ]

Shabby, 2/10, resubmit.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:50 PM

I try to spell everything I type online correctly.

I'm also the International Spelling Bee champion AND an International Man of Mystery.

If you add the "u" to color or spell tire "tyre", you're British unless proven guilty.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if i see someone make a blatant spelling error in one of their posts, i automatically think less of that person. some spelling errors go against you more than others.

if you say that someone's logic is rediculous, i ignore you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Either my sarcasm detector is off, or you're an idiot.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if i see someone make a blatant spelling error in one of their posts, i automatically think less of that person. some spelling errors go against you more than others.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone's definitely being ridiculous here.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quite frequently when I see someone , who I only know online , (punc. -1) spell a common word incorrectly (and it's clear that it's not a typo (shortened form, -1) or just a shortening of the word so it's quicker to type), I think of them as less intelligent (unless English is not their first language, in which case I'm just amazed at their proficiency at all in comparison to my complete ineptitude at anything that's not English). (Awk. -1, run-on, -1)

Firstly, everyone else thinks this too, right? Just to be clear btw (-1) I'm talking about people who I only know online, because when you know someone in person it's generally easier to gauge how intelligent you think they are. (Awk. -1)

Anyway, for those of you who do this, if you see someone write a word like "realise", "analyse" or "tyre", do you tend to assume they don't know how to spell or do you consider that (-1) they might be British?

It bothers me slightly, I suppose, that people might be judging that I've made spelling errors when I haven't. Yes, I care too much about this, you don't need to tell me this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shabby, 2/10, resubmit.

[/ QUOTE ]
English majors are more stupid than normal people who occasionally misspell.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:05 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, for those of you who do this, if you see someone write a word like "realise", "analyse" or "tyre", do you tend to assume they don't know how to spell or do you consider they might be British?

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course. I think of anyone who doesn't consider this as less intelligent.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shabby, 2/10, resubmit.

[/ QUOTE ]

English majors are more stupid than normal people who occasionally misspell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am are not more stupid coz I am'n't an English major tho I am'm univrity...unversty...unvirstity....kolledge edukated.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not sarcasm and he's not an idiot....
Old 09-09-2005, 06:43 PM

I once spelled Yale with a 9.