Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: So what hands do you open limp here?

when you say betting is simply better than calling, it seems to be an oversimplification. I am the bettor plenty of times after I limp preflop, whether it's an overlimp or an open limp. now raising gives you momentum postflop, and that's one of many factors that should guide the choice between raising and limping. there are many other factors as well, and I'm not arguing for more LP open limps - I can't remember the last time I've done it, and maybe I should think about it more.

I am, however, against those types of blanket statements, because people will see 'betting is better than calling' and take it as the general rule, when it's just not that universal. you listed other considerations as well so props for that, but I've been on a huge kick lately to dispel the cookie cutter responses to posts, when some of the people giving the advice, and a lot of people hearing it, don't understand it beyond the fact that it's so often preached here on the forums. this is like my 5th and hopefully last post against this trend, maybe one day I'll learn.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so, I have 22/45s/K3s in the sb after 3 limpers. by your logic I should raise? absurd. there are times to limp and times to raise, and throwing out a generally true statement that aggression gets the money does not give you the right to justify any play you want by throwing out the caveat 'but this play is more aggressive and we know aggression gets the money'.

just because the accepted forum logic is to never open limp in LP, doesn't mean there don't exist CO/button limps that could be +EV. speaking of sklansky, there is a section in HPFAP that talks about open limping on the button. is it so hard to imagine that we might be able to occasionally limp the CO against the right opponents in the right games?

oh wait that would take thought, and questioning the 'gospel'. never mind, always raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem much more abrasive then when I knew you from posting in SS. I'm not opposed to any of your commentary, but it's just an observation.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:13 PM

it's annoying to see fewer posts with analysis of the caliber of GoT and Nate. I spent a lot of time posting here and it would really suck if it just fell apart because people stopped elaborating on things. there are some other posts on my thoughts of this in jason t's 3/6 6m preflop question thread, I guess it happens to everyone. ah well I guess there are more important things in life.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:31 PM

no open limping. There, I said it.