Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Me play donkey?

Been a while since I posted a NL hand up, but here's one:

1/2 live NL game.

I have been playing for about an hour. I have a semi-tight super aggressive image.

A couple of limpers to this girl who raises to $5, Villain to left calls, 1 more caller, I call on the button with 55 (suits not important). Both blinds call.

Flop is J-3-3 with two spades. All check to villain who bets out $10, folded to me and I raise to $20. All fold back to villain, who think for a 5 seconds and calls.

Villain is weak aggressive. That means he's ABC and hates being put to the test so he likes to overbet a lot with made hands. I've yet to see him bluff, semi-bluff, or spew chips. He bought in for $100, is up about to $180 or so. I currently have $300.

Turn is a 9 hearts.

Villain checks. How much should I bet or should I bet or should I just go back and play limit where I can kick some serious ass?

Thanks

Lawrence
Old 08-13-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Me play donkey?

I think you ought to have raised more on this flop. This minraise is not enough to fold a strong J, and now you are probably behind and in a tricky spot. Unless you're willing to go for the full-pot bluff, you have to check here.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:52 AM

Bet $60
Old 08-13-2005, 09:18 AM

I don't like the flop minrasie. The opponent's flop bet looks like a continuation with AK or something. On the flop, I'm probably making a pot-sized raise. The minrasie makes calling with overcards probably correct.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:31 AM

I also think the minraise was the mistake here. On the turn, I'd bet full pot, but you got yourself into a mess by just raising min, because many people call that almost by default.

If villain has a flush draw, which is what I assume you put him on, you need to bet him out on the flop, as he's likely got 2 overs and is a small favorite in this spot, ie raise to 30 or 40.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:28 PM

I originally thought the flop min-raise was fine. If anyone else had a 3 or jack with a big kicker, they are going to either re-bop it on the flop or call in which case my hand is finished unless my 2 outer hits. Actually now that I think about it, perhaps a $30 bet would have been better to screw up the odds for a flush draw if there was any out there.

Lawrence