Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2004, 08:55 AM

Default 2 flush hands! River?

Do I see to many ghost? Should I stop be afraid of a set?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Raise?

The only reason I played this hand preflop was becaus I pushed the wrong button. Missed that someone had raised =)

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (12 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

Reraise? Is it wrong to be afraid of the set that give him full house? Something else I shall think of?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2004, 09:09 AM

Default Re: 2 flush hands! River?

Hand 1 - Played too passively. Raise the flop. After you raise the flop, you check the turn, giving yourself a free shot at hitting the flush. Raising should also clean up your Ace outs. On the river RAISE IT UP. UTG isn't betting a 4 or a 2. If MP1 had a 4 or a 2, he would've raised by now.

Hand 2 - This hand is a much closer decision, and I think the river is fine.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:14 AM

hand 1: raise the flop. With the board pairing twice I think just calling here is fine.

hand 2: I think playing q6s from the blind is OK. I would probably 3 bet the river. Mp1 looks like he might be holding something like JT. He could have flopped a set of 7's or 9's giving him a boat, but that's just a chance I think I'd take. Not entirely sure if that would be the correct play or not though.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:14 AM

Hand 1: I'll second (third?) that. Raise the flop. You are almost 2-1 to make your flush by the river, so it is almost even money (or better if a blind calls) on that basis alone. Add to that that you might get rid of another ace or a middle or bottom pair and this is a profitable play. Even if you do it just for the possible free card on the turn, it is a good play (though I would bet the turn and go for a free showdown instead, if unimproved). Don't worry about losing the blinds. If the pot is large (and this one is getting there), you want to maximize your chances of winning it, not keep customers for your draw.

Having said that, betting a flush into a two pair board is dicey. If UTG was very loose pre-flop, I would be inclined to just call. (I put MP1 on Ax or Qx. If it is Qx, you want to play with him some more.)

Hand 2: MP1 would play this way with a striaght. He might even play this way with T8. If he had a set on the flop, he should have raised. I'd go ahead and 3-bet him. If he caps, I'm beat (but I still pay him off.)
Old 07-25-2004, 11:30 AM

The reason I think the river play is fine is the hero called the whole way until the flush hit, then bets out. I think it's pretty plain to see that he hit his flush. Now, the villain could be oblivious to this, or just be aggro. With his turn raise and river raise, I think calling is fine.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:52 AM

Hand one: Just to concur with what the other guys have said: bet on the flop. I also think you should raise the river but just call a three bet against most opponents.

Hand two: Played well overall. I think you should raise the flop again though. The third 8 on the river makes me wary. I don't mind a call here. It depends on the opponent.