Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2003, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Question authority...

I forget the specifics but I read an article a while ago detailing how most (or even perhaps all) of the filibusters against equal civil rights were by Democrats. Also, George Wallace, a Democrat, physically blockaded the schoolhouse door to try to prevent integration.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:13 PM

of the filibusters against equal civil rights were by Democrats

Correct, but that was the Dixiecrat wing that left the Democratic Party in the 70's and have found a home in today's GOP (guys like Lott & DeLay for example, would've been Democrats had they been born a few decades earlier).
Old 12-22-2003, 12:15 PM

Thganks for the additional info....the name Helms rings a bell as for the filibusters..
Old 12-22-2003, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Huh?

Using the movie quote was simply for effect. Forget it.

Ultimately, my point was that had it not been for many great Americans who line up right of center, "leaving it" would not be an option. The fact is, it has always taken folks from both sides to make this country work.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Irony

After WWII, the Republicans wanted to revert to isolationism, bring all the troops home, and slash the miiltary budget. The liberals led the Cold War crusade.

No, Truman was not a conservative.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:34 PM

Default Totally out to lunch

But some of the better programs Democrats have instituted are the ones that support Americans.

People have enough trouble getting their own lives in sync with the way they want them. Then they have to worry about their employers' organizations' success to keep from getting laid off, which is tough enough. Then, they have to worry about the success of their hometown to support the organization, then the success of the state, and finally the Federal goverment's success.

It is completely unreasonable to believe that Democrats are after little more than a free lunch. Whether it's medicine they don't want to pay for, or providing help for those unable to do so for themselves.

Morally, I'm all for Medicare and workfare and aid for whatever. But don't delude yourself into thinking there's a grand altruistic principle behind it all.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Totally out to lunch

Gamblor, you posted this:

""Without liberals, there'd be no health care, emancipation proclamation, etc. etc.""

to which I responded:

"I'm more than a bit curious as to how you arrived at this conclusion."

to which you responded:

"But some of the better programs Democrats have instituted are the ones that support Americans.

People have enough trouble getting their own lives in sync with the way they want them. Then they have to worry about their employers' organizations' success to keep from getting laid off, which is tough enough. Then, they have to worry about the success of their hometown to support the organization, then the success of the state, and finally the Federal goverment's success.

It is completely unreasonable to believe that Democrats are after little more than a free lunch. Whether it's medicine they don't want to pay for, or providing help for those unable to do so for themselves.

Morally, I'm all for Medicare and workfare and aid for whatever. But don't delude yourself into thinking there's a grand altruistic principle behind it all.
"

Forgive me but I cannot find in your response that which addresses what I was wondering about.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Irony

This helps, in a small way, in confirming my previously stated hypothesis that the typical Liberal of today is greatly changed compared to the typical Liberal of yore.

(One of my principal observations as part of this hypothesis, which I've noted before, is that Liberals today are more control-oriented and less concerned with individual rights {Hillary Clinton being a case in point: didn't she say "We must stop being concerned about the individual and start thinking about what's good for society."--or words to that effect?-terrifying if you ask me...and definitely far removed from the essence of Liberalism of yore.})
Old 12-22-2003, 02:11 PM

Default Bozo-ib-Chief?

I thought your comment about our Bozo-in-Chief was a brilliant attempt at open public discourse. If I was a supporter of Bush I am positive that comment would make me think, "Well, there is an obviously intelligent, agile, and mature fella who disagrees with me. Lets start an open dialogue." Job well done.

btw - the biggest mistake that the left can make is to under estimate the intelligence of GW. He might be a liar and he might be uneducated, but he is not stupid.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Bozo-ib-Chief?

he might be uneducated

Yale undergrad, Harvard B-school. I'm curious what you define as "educated."